Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to compute frequency resolution of PLL given 14-bit N and 13-bit R dividers?

NQ21HT449

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm trying to see how granular frequency resolution can I achieve given my interger-N PLL (with no fractional or prescaler).

In my case, I have 10 MHz reference, and my desired output is 40 MHz to 60 MHz, hence I need N/R ratio to be from 4 to 6, and the question is, how can I choose values of
N/R so N (between 1 and 2^14 = 16384) and R (between 1 and 2^13 = 8192) gives N/R resolution of 0.1 MHz, i.e. N/R = 4, 4.1, 4.2 ... 5.9, 6?

If I want to have 1 kHz resolution, so that N/R is 4.001, 4.002, ... 5.999, 6, can I achieve it with this PLL, and if so, how can I select the values of N/R
Knowing that, I think I can figure out how many bits of N and R I need to achieve resolution desired in our application.

Thank you

Hi,
It's rather straight forward: (I expect you can do the math on your own in future)

10 MHz / 1000Hz = 10.000 ... is 14 bits
60 MHz / 1000Hz = 60.000 ... is 16 bits.

--> 1kHz resolution does not work.
--> you need to adjust your requirements

Klaus

You can achieve higher resolution, although not evenly spaced, by using selected N and R combinations. For the simple Synthesizer with fixed R, the best resolution is max(10 MHz/10^13, 60 MHz/2^14), next rounded value 4 or 5 kHz.

If you use integer type PLL, frequency step size or in other words channel spacing is \[ \frac {F_{xtal}}{R} \]
But if you use Fractional PLL, you don't have to stick to this constraint. Step size may be much lower or higher.
I mean, you can have a flexibility to play fractional ratio to get desired step size.

You can achieve higher resolution, although not evenly spaced, by using selected N and R combinations. For the simple Synthesizer with fixed R, the best resolution is max(10 MHz/10^13, 60 MHz/2^14), next rounded value 4 or 5 kHz.
Did you mean max() function? It seems you've computed 10 MHz/2^13 + 60 MHz/2^14 to get 4880 Hz resolution. max() function would return 1220 Hz

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back