Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to compensate DC-DC voltage mode control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomba

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm using the lm3524 and I want to know if it necessary to compensate, and witch is the better way to compensate the feedback control. I read about single-pole, zero-pole pair and two-pole-two-zero compensation. But the advantages of these techniques are not clear for me. Although, is it possible implement a PID compensation?

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks in advance

First of all, what topology are you using? The compensation network has to be designed accordingly.

For good transient response performance, the closed-loop bandwidth has to be as high as possible, with adequate phase margin.

As a general rule, the single-pole (or dominant pole) compensation will result in poor transient response, as the dominant pole will be placed at a low frequency, thus limiting the bandwidth.

For a forward topology in voltage mode you are best off with a two-pole-two-zero compensation.

The error amplifier of the LM3524 has nominal gain of ≈85dB (open circuit at pin 9) and is usually set by output loading. Typical valuse are 50kΩ resistor in series with 1nF capacitor between pin 9 and GND, and that is your compensation.
In fact you can use no compensation at all by connecting only pure resistive load..

I planing to use a full bridge topology, or a half bridge topology.

VVV do you know a good bock, paper, document or link about this subject.

Thanks you

The book I know is Abraham I Pressmann's "Switching Power Supply Design".
I think it's pretty good. I also have Keith Billings's book, but I think Pressmann is better.

Also, D. Venable is renowned in the industry for his stability analysis. Check out the knowledge base of Venable Industries.
www.venable.biz/tr-papers2.html

Search the board for Venable, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back