Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to combine two signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DimaA

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
combine two dc voltages

It may be a dumb question, but how do I combine two signals together? I have a sine wave, and a DC voltage, I want to combine them so the sine wave will "ride" on DC votage.

This can be done using two components at each end:
- to deliver dc to a line you have to use an inductor; identical inductor you will use at the other end ..
- to send sine wave over the same cable you will use a capacitor .. and at the other end you will pick up the sine wave again using a capacitor ..

To calculate values of inductor and capacitor use common formulas:
RL = ωL
RC = 1/ωC
and the values should be in the range of 1kΩ or more for L and ≤10Ω for C .. use the minimum sine wave frequency you want to superimpose ..

In my opinion, best and more practical way is to use summing amplifier. It is a just operational amplifier with 3-4 resistors Look here **broken link removed** or search google.
You must select suitable OP depending on your voltages & frquencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.