Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to choose values for resistors, capacitors, etc. in general circuit design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonbonbaron

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm building a legged robot whose wheels at the base I want to control with an MSP430. I need to build an H-Bridge for each wheel's motor. The motor's stall current is 2A. I can use 4 AA batteries in series, but don't necessarily have to.

I know how most circuit components work and how/when to use them. So my question is, where does one even begin to know what values to use for resistors, capacitors, transistors, and such?

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Michael

Hi,

First you need a schematic.

Then every part in a circuit needs current, voltage ...
In most cases you may use ohm's law to calculate the values.

In many cases the manufacturers of integrated circuits give example circuits with values in their datasheets and application notes.
Also there you may find sections on how to select and calculate the part values of the surrounding devices.

Klaus

Hi,

First you need a schematic.

Then every part in a circuit needs current, voltage ...
In most cases you may use ohm's law to calculate the values.

In many cases the manufacturers of integrated circuits give example circuits with values in their datasheets and application notes.
Also there you may find sections on how to select and calculate the part values of the surrounding devices.

Klaus

The process is called circuit design. The designer should have a good knowledge of all circuit details, then he can select optimal values for the components. One can follow manufacturer¨s recommedations, test circuits, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back