Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to choose the right opamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sreejuviswan

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For one of my projects I am using 2 stage amplification. the first stage of amplification is done by a LMV324 opamp under the difference input configuration. for The second stage i need a programmable gain amplifier hence i tried using MCP6s21 PGA. this PGA has amplification gain setting of +1, +2, +4,+5,+8,+10,+16 or +32. However when i analyse the output signal the amplification does not happen as expected for a gain set at +8 the amplification is only twice the input signal and for +16 and +32 setting there is only noise in the output.

My signal frequencies are not more than 2 KHz and the datasheet claims that this PGA could handle upto 18 MHz.

Why is the opamp performing so poorly? is it because the opamp has poor performance or because i have not chosen the right opamp for my application? what are the opamp parameters i should look into for choosing the right amplifier?

Before you question the programmable gain amp, is the output of the LMV324 valid? Have you checked the common-mode voltage of the signal? The LMV324 will take a few tenths below the negative supply, but only to within 0.8V of the positive supply.
PGA - is the reference tied to Vss? Given a single-supply difference amplifier as the input, you've got a signal referenced to 0V (Vss), so the reference would need to be tied to 0V.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back