Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to choose speed of cmos comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.

abeybaby

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how can one choose speed of comparator if the input signal frequency is mentioned.. does it depend on sample frequency or what? and how to choose sampling frequency also.. i think it depends on nyquist rate.. but how much speed of comparator can be taken?

I recomend you that calculate the theorical output wave of the comparator under the given input signal. The transition time of the comparator must be very small, usually 1/10, the period. That is why you must calculate it and draw it.

If you need any more info. let me know.

i.e. almost 10times the input frequency i guess...
but why its 10 factor??

It depends on the architecture. for Flash ADC, you need much higher speed for the comperator with relation to the sampling frequency. This is due to charging/discharging of the capacitance of the comperators by the input signal (for 10bit flash you will have large resistor string with conjunction of the comperator capacitance). a rule of thumb that I am familiar is 10*fs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back