Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to choose right DC Motor for robotic vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerskm

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to choose motor for my robotic vehicle .robotic vehicle consist of 2 DC motor backside and 1 free wheel in front side.I already choosen DC geared motor of rpm 500 and torque 1cm/Kg.when i loaded a battery of 5 kgs above the vehicle,it is not moving .motor gets heated .

please guide me to choose a motor which should load 15 kgs and speed should be 60meter/minute.

please explain the terms of torque and rpm related.

Thanks in advance.

Torque is converted to a linear force with the gears and wheels.
The force to overcome includes the mass times acceleration, plus gear friction, not just be stationary mass.

The surge current or stall current rating is generally 5-8x the average max current determined by Rs winding resistance will decline slowly until it reaches cruising speed.

Power dissipated in a current limited motor will then dissipate V²/Rs power or I²Rs until it speeds up. since I surge will average 5x it means 25x approx the power it is rated for. if overloaded. it will remain stalled.

The unit must be rugged enough to withstand the heat and thus have more torque and requires more current than you calculated and less Rs than you expected. Then the acceleration must be controlled slowly and efficiently with PWM with a heavy mass.

Power and heat loss calculations are necessary with all variables of m, a, V+ , Rs , RdsOn ESR (bat) etc

TORQUE = FORCE x RADIUS
FORCE = MASS x ACCELERATION
HP = TORQUE x RPM x 6.28 ÷ k

http://viewmold.com/Products/Techni...ars/Gears-HOW TO FIGURE HORSEPOWER TORQUE.pdf

.Thanks .can you recommend the motor for my application ?

What does 12kg/cm torque means in dc geared motor

I am using DC Geared motor in robotic vehicle .the total weight load of the vehicle is 11kg .is it enough to use 12kg/cm motor or should i go for high torque.

Re: What does 12kg/cm torque means in dc geared motor

Motor Torque, drive current and heat loss depends on acceleration control you have or don't have.

What are these specs for acceleration? F=ma

Re: What does 12kg/cm torque means in dc geared motor

total load 12kg .speed required 50meter per minute.diameter of wheel is 7cm.I am not familiar with the calculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.