Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to choose a suitable ADC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glias

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello all,
I'm wondering what is the best way to use ADC adaptation stage.
I have a sensor that covers the voltage range from -12 to +12V. and I wondering if I should better use a bipolar ADC or unipolar ? what is the risk to adapt and reduce the voltage range ? Does it have an influence in noise and performances in the analog chain ?

regards

Choose an ADC

Hi,
Most moderner ADCs have an input range of +/-2,5V, +/-5V or +/-10V (or only unipolar all these= 0..+2,5/5&10V), also you must so & so use some attenuator/correction...
I would select the biggest possible input range type & if your signal is +/-12V, you can atteuate it to +/- 10V as relative less (20%)loss on dynamic range...
Better is to change the output amplitude of your source to i.e. +/-10V_if you ca do it.
K.

Reactions: Pete.York

glias

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Pete.York

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Choose an ADC

Hello karesz
and thanks for your reply. I'm not sure to understand why is it better. Take an example :

First example :
10V output sensor range => divider by 2 stage => ADC (5V dynamic range)
imagine that the noise of the sensor is 1mV.
the quantum of ADC is : 5V/2^14=305µV
so the noise that the ADC will see is about 1,64bits lost for the dynamic

2sd example :
10V output sensor range => ADC (10V dynamic range)
1mV (noise sensor)
quantum of tha ADC=600µV
noise that the ADC will see is 1mV/600µV is the same : 1,66bits

The only thing that the 2sd example is better is for the offset (which is constant).

What do you think ?

Choose an ADC

:), Hi!
I think, that I dont know how big is your ADCs resolution.! Is it a true 14-Bit system pls? Why did you calculate the LSB value with 2^14? OK, for theoretical limits I can understand, but for real situations use pls the real ADC data!
Be care pls, calculate every time with the concrete ADCs true "Bit-Resolution", they arnt equivalent from all types & brands, and specification is often some unclear...
A 0..10V range at true 10 Bit is practically 10mV (10V/2^10) for a Bit Quant/LSB value. Or do you have a 16-Bit ADC (with true 14-Bit resolution)?
If you have a +/- system(bipolar) => your resolution will be double of the unipolar, so its better to the same noise floor with factor two version...
I did wish to say: if sensor output has a range of +/- 10V: its better than +/- 12V, than you dont need a (depending of ADCs input circuit_maybe need a plus buffering) plus attenuating in the ADC circuit...
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.