Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to choose a specific PIC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeyndha

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to choose PIC?

Hi all,

I'm new to PIC. I'm very confuse on how to choose PIC variant. There're so many type of it, all with its features. Please tell me how to choose one. Thanks

Regards

How to choose PIC?

Go for the one that has features that will be useful for you.

In learning PIC, think first of the application you want to apply PIC. Because you are a beginner for PIC, you need an I/O function so at least you can practice controlling the Digital I/O ports. Then consider also a UART for interfacing the PIC to a PC, and later the Analog inputs so at least you have a built-in Comparator inside.

Consider also your programmer if it can support your desired chip.

For now, I can advise of using the PIC16F628 microcontroller, at least you can maximize its, 16 I/O by disabling the external oscillator and the MCLR line.

Glenjoy

Re: How to choose PIC?

weeyndha said:
Hi all,

I'm new to PIC. I'm very confuse on how to choose PIC variant. There're so many type of it, all with its features. Please tell me how to choose one. Thanks

Regards

If you want to use a high quality C compiler then you can choose the 18 series PICs

i dont think he is asking about C compilers!

i would agree with glenjoy. the PIC16F628 is the best choice for a starter. lots of I/O, memory and functionality in a small and cheap package!

and for a great series of tutorials based on the PIC16F628 go to http://www.winpicprog.co.uk

weeyndha said:
Hi all,

Regards

Hi

16F628 for beguinners, cheap than 16F84. It have USART and 2k RAM....without due, is´t the best....

Bye

How to choose PIC?

i think 16F84 is better than 16F628 for a true beginner
built-in hardware is much simpler than 16F628
after a few blinking LEDs, hello world on LCD or software RS232 tests it will be easier to upgrade to 16F628 and play with new peripheral

hi
Well PIC16f72 is very cheap in india than any pic varients in 18 pin series.
I suggest u can do some experimenting with this.

Have fun

Regards
Gopi Pemmasani

16f84 may be the easier. But if you don't feel it's hard 16f628a is the bridge between low end and mid range cpu's. Usually it should be better to start with 16f84 if you have no experience in any µc. Less features will get you less confused at the beginning. Then you can move on to 16f628 and others. Their basics are all same even their pin functionalites are same with equal pin numbers. So you don't feel stranger when you move from f84 to f628. You'll only learn some new peripherals and some memory related things as the program memory grows at higher pics.

is it true that PIC16F84 stops with production, because there is more better and cheaper controlers
borkic

Older ones are still in production and there are a lot of products using 16f84 i think so it's a bit difficult to stop its production easily unless a new cpu that can replace f84 easily. Actually same pin numbered pics can replace it with small changes but it also needs an effort. They generally make the new pics cheaper and more functional to encourege users to use new ones in their new designs and when the sales of a model drops below a limit they stop its production i think. Also they improve the same chip and label it for example as 16f84a then make this one cheaper then 16f84 then they stop the older one's production. These are my guesses but i didn't hear anything like that they'll stop its production. My be it's true, i don't know.

there is always an end to everything! better devices replace their predecessors. the trend in the industry decides what will come to an end. as far as the F84 is concerned i think it will live on. the main reason is that for most of the people the F84 was the starting point. i mean just open any book related to PICs and the only thing you will see is the F84. there are loads of projects based on the F84 on the internet.

nevertheless we should not hold on to a certain device. we should look for better alternatives that can do much more at a less cost. the F628 is an example which has more functionality at a less cost.

i think it is better to be a bit flexible in this matter. dont stick to one thing and move on. dont look at what is being used more but try to think what suits your application.

16F84 is the basic universal pic, but, i think microchip soon stops its production.

It's sure 16f628 is a good beginning, but, if you want more and more experiment :) you can choice 16F88 or 16F818/819 in 18pin package, it's really, and in my opinion, a good choice when you want experiment on all the peripheral hard modules of the PIC... ...but, start slowly but surely ;)

Moreover, 16F84, 16f628, 16F88, and 16F818/819 are pin-compactible, and, with summary software modifications, you can implement 16F84 ( or other basic pic ) program in one of these PICs --> You must disable Analog ( ADC, Comparators ) and Interupt' ( Communications, special interruptions ) modules, and few bank & registers adresses modifications.
Futhermore, you can use the Internal clock ans smiplify your practical schematic on test board.

Regards,

Manu

I would strongly advise any of the 18 series... 18F458 in particular. The reason is that once you want to move up, you will eventually move to this line anyway. Starting off with the 18 series isn't really any more difficult than 16, especially if you have a C compiler. In fact, C compilers better support it. And of course, pretty much everything is built in. so why not just start with the good stuff instead of wasting time playing with smaller ones.... its much easier to downgrade than it is to upgrade, and its not like the PIC's are that hard t obegin with.

jdhar said:
its much easier to downgrade than it is to upgrade
ooooh you have strange behaviour :x
when you begin something usually it is much more easy to begin small and simple and increase difficulties. thats how everybody learn at school ...
if you are a microprocessor expert OK, but dont forget weeyndha said I'm new to PIC

You should think about what would you need. A/D, CAN, SPI, etc and then look for the PIC. I recommend you the F series, they are reprogrammable. Also try one with you can use the C compiler from Microchip.

Best regards,

mimoto

jdhar said:
I would strongly advise any of the 18 series... 18F458 in particular. The reason is that once you want to move up, you will eventually move to this line anyway. Starting off with the 18 series isn't really any more difficult than 16, especially if you have a C compiler. In fact, C compilers better support it. And of course, pretty much everything is built in. so why not just start with the good stuff instead of wasting time playing with smaller ones.... its much easier to downgrade than it is to upgrade, and its not like the PIC's are that hard t obegin with.

If you have some knowledge you may be right but if you don't know anything then it's better to start with the easiest possible thing. If you have a few general knowledge about ucs than starting with pic18 may take shorter time than starting with pic16 then move into pic18 but not much and it will be harder than the other choice. According to an unexperienced people even small things may appear like the mountains that are difficult to pass over. But if you're an experienced people than you should be familiar with a lot of thing and probably you'll want to arrive the target as soon as possible and it doesn't sense to spare your time with the tools that you'll never use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back