Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to choose a proper fan ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kekon

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to calculate a fan which one should use to cool a heatsink ? (air volume per minute) I have given power dissipated in the heatsink, its thermal resistance, ambient temperature and a temperature which should be achieved in the heatsink which is to be cooled by the fan. I found many articles concerning heatsinks but couldn't find how to calculate fans.

kekon said:
How to calculate a fan which one should use to cool a heatsink ? (air volume per minute) I have given power dissipated in the heatsink, its thermal resistance, ambient temperature and a temperature which should be achieved in the heatsink which is to be cooled by the fan. I found many articles concerning heatsinks but couldn't find how to calculate fans.

I think you can find some useful information here:
h**p://www.power-one.com/technical/articles/coolingcnvrts.pdf

Regards

Well, there is some useful information, thanks. But I intend to carry out some practical experiments as well. I need to cool a heatsink where the power that must be dissipated will be about 250W.

Here's a useful guideline:
Recently I did some experiments with a 12V 5cm CPU fan and found out that it reduced the thermal resistance by a factor of 6 to 7 at 12V and by a factor of 4 at 6V supply.
The fan was fixed very close to the heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back