Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to check if isolated circuit is not shorted

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamW

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
isolated circuit

Hi

I have two isolated circuits. I am looking for idea, of how could I check if there is no short between them.
Of course it is easy with external ohmometer, but in fact I have to ask uC in one circiut if there is no short with the second one. Both circuts are optoisolated.

Best regards
KamW

circiut checker

Ohm meter is the prefered way,you'll have to take uot all ic's and follow the schematics or take out the ic's and switch circuit on. Good luck

isolated circuit solution schematic

Hi prinsloo

ohm meter it was kind of joke- in fact I have to check in real time if there is short circuit. One circuit has to check if it is shorted with the second, and there still should be optoisolated barier between circuits.
Any idea?

KamW

basic isolated circuit

Is the optocouler (I assume it's optocoupler as you mentioned both circuits are optoisolated) the only device that connect both circuits?

isolated circuit

Yes exactly. And I have to check if it really is the only one !!
Question is very simple, but solution ......

regards
KamW

isolated circuit?

Interesting question ... do you have any idea what are the possible causes that will result in short-circuit between circuit1 and circuit2 ?

how to check if circuit is working

In meter with two independent measuring path it is extremally easy. A lot of connections will be outside of the box ...
Problem is that the results of measuremens are false while there is short circuit between meters

regards
KamW

short between isolated circuits

The only way to detect whether the two circuits are "shorted" together from inside the circuits is if some current flows between the two. In order for that to be true, there has to be a return path for the current between the two in addition to the "short".

If the two circuits do not share anything in common, and are totally opto-isolated, there is no way to detect a single "shorted" point between the two from within either one.

An analogy would be to lock yourself in a windowless room and try to detect when someone is touching the wall on the outside of the house - you can't do it without some information from outside the room.

how to check if circuit is operating okay

There is no question that there should be any connection between citrcuits. I think a few Mohms would be enought. But in my oppinion the problem to avoid destruction of one of circuit while there are high difference in potentials between them. Am I right?

what is an isolated circuit

Are both circuits identical?

Of course they are not identical. One is uC with meter, and the second is just meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back