Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to change the gain of antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaikss

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Folks,

I have designed a dipole antenna.
But I want to re-use the antenna resonating at the same frequency(866MHz) but with different gain.
What can be done to acquire the scenario using the same set-up?

Thanks!

Last edited:

If you have designed a dipole antenna with a gain of 6dB then it has tobe patented.Because nominally gain of an antenna is around 2dB.i dont know how you came up with that number.

Regards
ChachitoEL.

If you have designed a dipole antenna with a gain of 6dB then it has tobe patented.Because nominally gain of an antenna is around 2dB.i dont know how you came up with that number.

Regards
ChachitoEL.

Sorry! I was wrong with my statement. I guess whatever Peak Gain shown in "Calculate Antenna parameters" is in dBi.
If I have restricted transmit power of 1W but if I need to achieve of EIRP of 4, what should I do?
The only thing within my hands is to design antenna with a Gain of 4 or 6dBi.
Please help me out.

Thanks!

Sorry! I was wrong with my statement. I guess whatever Peak Gain shown in "Calculate Antenna parameters" is in dBi.
If I have restricted transmit power of 1W but if I need to achieve of EIRP of 4, what should I do?
The only thing within my hands is to design antenna with a Gain of 4 or 6dBi.
Please help me out. Thanks!

To get any more gain than the 2.5dBi from a dipole is going to require a more complex antenna built around the dipole.
For omni directional you could use a colinear which is basically a set of stacked 1/4, 1/2 or 5/8 wave elements and for ~ 800MHz gains up to 10dBi would be relatively easy to achieve.

If you dont need omni directional and are happy with a directional system then you would use antennas like corner reflectors and Yagis.
A corner reflector with 1 wavelength sides will give ~ 10dBi gain
A 3 element Yagi will give ~ 6dBi gain

BUT I clarify to you again You are NOT going to get more than ~ 2.5dBi out of a single dipole,
in a famous quote, "ye canne break the laws of physics"

cheers
Dave

BUT I clarify to you again You are NOT going to get more than ~ 2.5dBi out of a single dipole,
in a famous quote, "ye canne break the laws of physics"
If presuming a λ/2 dipole. A 5λ/2 dipole has about 6 dBi gain, but there are better antennas of comparable size.

RFID regulations usually restrict the maximal e.r.p., are you sure that applicable regulations allow 4 W?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back