Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to change the default boot loader from linux to windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rednewguy

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my default boot loader is grub. i want to change this to windows boot loader. how to do this?

thanks

Re: linux to windows

HI ..

You mean to say that you dont want linux .. or you want windows as a default boot

i want both the os. but is there any option to change the default from linux grub to windows boot loader.

linux to windows

u can re-install the MBR but in this case u will have the MBR containing the windows boot line only which wont contain the Linux , then if u know how to add the line for the linux booting then u should add it.

linux to windows

i dont konw why you want to do this, if you just want to boot windows by default, you can just change grub configuration-file

If the case you wanna take back ur window$ boot. Try this:

Put ur windows installation CD
Press R for recovery console
fill password (if ur windows have admin's password)
in the console type help (if you wanna know all the command)
if you wanna take back mbr from linux/ recover ur bad mbr (it happaned to me a lot) use fixmbr.

Hope this will help.

linux to windows

best way is to edit the grub configuration-file

i have a better solution, change the grub for lilo, lilo is better and easier to configure, if you are using a based debian distribution do : apt-get remove grub, apt-get install lilo, adn then vi /etc/lilo.conf, and this file is really easy to configure, just try

you can change that by type
>fixmbr
in the recovery mode after you boot from XP cdrom.

but you wont be able to boot linux any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.