Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate the TURN ON time, and TURN Off time for Mosfet

Status
Not open for further replies.

cme5871

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Everybody,

I know this is a dumb question. But, I just want to make sure what I understood was correct. TURN ON time is the time taken to charge the FET, and viceversa for TURN OFF. Can we able to calculate both by seeing a graph?

Please help me.

Attachments

• HSP01 Output.PNG
    HSP01 Output.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 74

I'm not sure what your picture is showing, but TURN ON time is defined as the time it takes the output to change from 10% to 90% of its final value.

Thanks a ton for your reply!

How to measure those on, and off times? Can you send any tutorial please..

That is the picture, I got on the oscilloscope when I measured the output voltage of my circuit. I measured the output voltage at D1 from the attached date sheet by giving an input voltage of 28V, and for an inductive load. I think it makes sense for you now.

Attachments

• A3942.pdf
    496 KB · Views: 114

I think you want to measure the voltage at S1, not D1. When the MOSFET is off, the voltage at S1 will be 0. When the MOSFET is on, the voltage at S1 will be somewhere near Vbatt(call it Vout). Put a scope on S1 and look at the ramp that will occur when the MOSFET is turned on, then measure the time it takes to go from 0.1*Vout to 0.9*Vout. That's your rise time. You'll probably see some ringing depending on your load, wiring, etc.

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back