Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate the SNR of a jittered Sine Wave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixth

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sine wave frequency cacluate

For a sine wave generated by PLL, can anyone tell me how to calculated its SNR?
In the frequency spectrum , I can not distingguish what's the signal and what's the noise because the signal spectrum is not a single line but with a lot of phase noise.
As a common method, in FFT analysis, we often pick some bins beside the signal and add them together as the signal energy and the sum of the remainder part as the noise energy. But for a jittered sine wave, how many bins should i pick up as the signal energy?

sixth

calculate noise in a sine wave

sixth said:
For a sine wave generated by PLL, can anyone tell me how to calculated its SNR?
In the frequency spectrum , I can not distingguish what's the signal and what's the noise because the signal spectrum is not a single line but with a lot of phase noise.
As a common method, in FFT analysis, we often pick some bins beside the signal and add them together as the signal energy and the sum of the remainder part as the noise energy. But for a jittered sine wave, how many bins should i pick up as the signal energy?

sixth

Hi sixth,
The signal energy is usually only in one bin. If you choose equal bins to the either side of the signal frequency, the middle bin (only one bin) will be your signal frequency.

Bharath

you must add amplitudes of sidelobes which are significant with respect to main sinewave frequency.

say which are more than 1% of the main lobe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back