Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate ESR of a coil for a boost converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojleric

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I am developing a boost converter. There for I have calculated inductance of my coil and it is 0.234 H. My problem is that I don't know how to calculate Effective Series Resistance (ESR) of the coil. I need ESR so I could develop Simulink models in Matlab. Can anyone help me?

Boost Converter

Can anyone tell me aproximately how much ESR would be for my coil?

Re: Boost Converter

please tell the material of wire you are using and the length of wire...

Boost Converter

whatever material and whatever length. I just need to know some aproximately value of ESR for my model.

the formula is ρl where ρ is the resistance per unit length of the material.... one thing you gotta know is without specifying the material and length no one can find the resistance....:D

Boost Converter

Material is copperplate and his ρ is 0,0169 per unit length. Length of the wire I can't determine because I don't know how much turnings does my coil need to have in order to have inductance of 0,234H. The reason why I can't determine the needed number of turnings is beacuse I can't find the ferite material that has the area product that I require.

dude it is hard to find out without the length... anyway when you coil up the inductor just measure its length and multiply it with 0.0169 that is all....

Status
Not open for further replies.