Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate breakdown voltage of capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ex4

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello
I want to calculate breakdown voltage of a plate capacitor. I only got info on the dielectric constant, the plate gaps, and the plate wide area, is it possible to calculate it using that information?

Basically, when you exceed the rated voltage, as with any other rated component, the capacitor can't handle it and the dielectric will probably melt or something, and cause a short circuit between the plates. This is the only thing I can think you mean by "capacitor breakdown". The other use of the term "breakdown" in electronics is for breakdown voltages in diodes.

For capacitors in series, 1/C[total] = 1/C[1] + 1/C[2] + 1/C[3] +...

For caps in parrallel, C[total] = C[1] + C[2] + C[3] + ...

The current and v0ltage are related by i = C(dV/dt), which are just derived from the equation Q=CV.

The rated voltage for the capacitor will be on there.

If its an electrolytic capacitor, you might wanna ramp up the voltage on it, for fun, and watch it explode!! :)

hehehe
i mean i want to calculate the breakdown voltage of my home made plate capacitor for the watercell fuel based on that info

Status
Not open for further replies.