Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build SIW structure in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhul3

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
siw structure

Hi, I am learning Substrate integrated rectangular waveguide (SIRW) structure these days, and have a question to draw such structure in HFSS.

So I should only embed some same-height cylinders (vacuum) into the rectangular waveguide, that is it

OR

Besides above, I should also change the vacuum to some metal material such as silver, pec, etc. So the whole structure is like a wood with some pins inside.

Please clarify this. Thanks a lot

hfss siw

Hi

HFSS asumes by default that the boundaries of the model are perfect electric walls. So, you should only define the dielectric (SIW substrate), the upper and lower elecrtric planes should be OK.

However, you should define the width of the substrate to be as in your original structure and define lateral substrate walls as radiation boundaries.

Then you should place metalic vias between upper and lower SIW plates.

If you don't define radiation boundary, upper and lower plates will be connected through the default perfect electric walls, while in reality they should be connected with vias only.

flyhigh

Reactions: matherman

zhul3

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

matherman

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
siw hfss radiation boundary

Hi flyhigh,

Your advise really awake me :) Totally make sense.

Thank you very much.

I hope I can directly send you questions by message in the future.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back