Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build a test board for CPLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

priyaphule

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,

I am working on PCI BUS Project.

I have to connect an cpld to PCI controller chip

I have jtag cable and cpld XC95288XL-10TQ144C with me

Now to program and test the cpld I have to build TEST BOARD (PCB)

no standard xilinux board is available

can you please help me out in this?????

how can i build an test board for the cpld
what other peripherals will be required on board (say such as led, swiches, etc)
what about clock?

i have found one of the xilinux board schimatic for XC 9572 on web
can i get the such schimatic for XC95288XL-10TQ144C also
are these board fullfills our requirements?

Priya

cpld on test board

You can buy development boards that take care of all of this design work. Do you want to design your own?

cpld small board test

hi,

i want to build an test board on my own :)

can i build it with minimum external devices such as led, switch, etc.

i got some of the schematics for XC9572/36

In those boards 14 Hz johnson counter is connected to GCK1 pin

Can any one explain why it is so?

Priya

cpld pci

If you want to build your own test board, you are the on ethat has to decide what goes on it. no one else can tell you this. Decide what you would like to do with the board, and then go from there. Generic things to put on the board are LED's, a few switches, a reset switch, a oscillator and some general purpose headers. However, you need to figure out what you want to acheive with this board first.

cpld pcb eagle

Hi,

I just built a CPLD dev board, mainly to use up bits'n'bobs laying around. My advice, (and the advice others have given me) is to keep it simple. It's easy to keep adding things like LCD, PS/2 port etc.. but start with what the chip needs.

Stable power supply, that can deliver enough current, a versitile clock (maybe a socket for crystal oscillators) and most importantly, access to every I/O pin. And, of course, a programming header (or have the DL cables buffer circuit, on board, with a DB25 port on it, if you've got the space). Some extra's are pull-up resistors, and maybe a buffer or two.

You may not need to use all pins in a project, and you can tell the chip which pins you want to use for what, but it allows you to connect external boards to it. For example, say, for some reason you want to connect an ADC to it. Theres no point in sticking it on your development board if you don't use it much, but you could have a seperate board which all your 'bells and wistles'.

Theres nothing worse than building it and realising you need to use more pins than you've made available. Heres a small picture of mine (made with eagle 3D).

Good luck

BuriedCode.

xc95288xl development board

HI Priya
I think you need to study the JTAG serial protocol, and accordingly the xilin s/w send the bit stream in the serial format,

cpld boards

Buriedcode said:
Hi,Heres a small picture of mine (made with eagle 3D).
Thats a nice PCB. Which version of Eagle is that?

9572 cpld eagle

COMS,

Thats the latest version of Eagle, the free version (with limits on pCB size and only 2 layers with maximum of 500 holes/pads).

The pic was made with 'ulp' script called 'Eagle 3D' and uses 'pov-ray'. All free to download and use. The guy who made the 'eagle 3d' in my opinion, is a genius. Its made every project I've done look professional, great if you're trying to sell a product/idea.

Anyway, back to the dev board. As you can see its pretty simple, with 2 CPLD's. 24 I/O's from each are available, with extra's like pull-up/down resistors (changed using a jumper) and switches, LED's. There are two programming headers (IDC6) one for each chip. I could have 'chained' them, or added a buffer circuit, but I've already built the dongle in a DB25 hood and its complicates the design.

priyaphule, search google for 'development board CPLD' and look at the pictures. Theres loads of schematics of very good boards and you can take what you want from any of them. If its scpeifically for 'PCI' then you night be able to get a PCI connector on the board using 'eagle'.

Good luck.

BuriedCode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back