Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build a GPS independent navigation system ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddasserniaz

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to build a GPS independent navigation system ????

I think you are talking about Inertial Navigation. The available INS units are quite accurate, but costs a fortune. If you are intrested in location in a closed space other type of system can be used, either ultrasonic or RF based. Please define your objectives.

Take a look at
"Inertial Navigation" by Halit Eren and C. C. Fung.
(a chapter of "Measurement, Instrumentation & Sensors Contents" - CRC Press LLC)

asit,

I was thinking of using a navigation system for my RC aircraft.

How easy/cost worthy is to use the ultrasonic navigation comparative to GPS???

asit said:
For outdoor use, cant use ultrasonic. Why you dont want to use GPS? Is there any specific reason?

I just want to do a different project than other fellow students , besides i thoght it would be more interesting to do it than a GPS based project.

U can use Inertial Navigation with some silicon accelometers.

But making inertial navigation is not easy for novice in this field.

How about putting a transponder on the model and have three ground stations. It can calculate the range from each ground station to find its position.

flatulent said:
How about putting a transponder on the model and have three ground stations. It can calculate the range from each ground station to find its position.

This techinique is called triangulation

I have got already thought about this kinda project and had my notes for doing it ...

here is the idea which i documented in my personal blog

Embodiments of the present invention are directed at gathering position information of mobile and stationary entities and using the position information in a wide variety of applications. Various embodiments use a plurality of signal transmitting devices and/or a plurality of signal gathering devices to gather position information. In one embodiment, the signal transmitting device is an existing mobile electronic device. In another embodiment, the signal transmitting device is a radio frequency identification (RFID) tag attached to an entity. In another embodiment, the signal gathering device is a collection of wall mounted antennas. The entity location is calculated by gathering the phase difference or other timing information of signal generated by the signal transmitting device on the entity. This location information is then given to end user applications. One embodiment is a network security application using gathered location information of wireless ethernet cards. Another embodiment is a network resource locator application.

hope it helped you

-helios
(Rise of pure energy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back