Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build a filter inductor with 600uH of indutance rated 10A using a PC-ATX power

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjpompeo

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do I build a filter inductor with 600uH of indutance and rated 10A using a PC-ATX power supply filter inductor core (the rounded one yellow that filters +5V, +12V, -12V, -5V output)?

I need know the number of turn and wires gage(I guess a set of three or four to avoid skin effect).

This will be used as output filter in a russian adjustable 2Vdc-22Vdc / 0A-10A 20kHz smps using TL494.

Regards,

Fernando

inductor 10a

First, you will need to find out what is the standard inductance factor (AL) of your core ..
Wind, say, 10 turns of any copper wire on your core and measure the inductance ..
Use the attached formula to calculate AL: L is inductance, AL is the inductance index of the core, and N is the number of turns ..
Apply the same formula to calculate number of turns for 600µH and this time use ≈2.5mm² copper wire ..

Regards,
IanP

inductor filter 10a

IanP,

The part that puzzles me is that there must be a limit caused by the core as to how much current you can send through the coil before the core reaches saturation.

Do you have some words of wisdom on this topic? How do you test this parameter?

Thanks in advance...

inductance al

Inductor/inductance with magnetic core always makes headache. In most case, we need no inductor with precise inductance value. In the other hand, for more accurate inductance value, we have to try and measure then wind it again and again. You can easily regconize that inductors made by a professional manufacturer always are tiny and accurate, while the one made by any amateur basing on the popular literature is big and far from desired value.

To fjpompeo, I have experiences with Russian electronic literatures, where in most case they always provide circuit diagrams with very detailed information on parts, especially inductors and transformers. Basing on their data, you can easily modify parts to adopt your practical situation.

If you can post that Russian document, I hope may help you. Maybe in their document, Russian words are not familiar to you so hard to understand.

nguyennam

inductor 600uh 3 a

Hi nguyennam,

See attached PDF file.

600uh coil

fjpompeo, Russian words above L1=200 to 600uH say:

"This circuit is not critical to inductance of the inductor. Any inductor, which is wound by wire of 1.5 to 2mm diameter on a ferrite core with the cross section of 2 to 4 cm2, is suitable.

Hope this clear for you.

In case you need to know anything more in this diagram, just simply let me know.

Goodluck
nguyennam

Re: 600uH 10A inductor

Dear nguyennam

Very thank you for your reply to my question. If you need anythink related to portuguese language count with me.

Regards,

Fernando - Call sign PU2PLL - Brazil

Re: 600uH 10A inductor

Fernando, I am very happy could help you anything. Thank you very much for your goodwill, I will bother you once I need Portuguese translation.

nguyennam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back