Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to block unwelcome user replies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d123

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

To be clear: one thing is teasing and making fun of each other occasionally, we all do that here; another thing which is unacceptable is what appears to be an unhealthy, narcissistic mind with nothing better to do than troll people on a forum in order to feel alive and avoid considering serious personality issues/disorders they should be working to eradicate from themselves.

I can't see a way of blocking replies to threads by users who are unwelcome or problematic. I come here to engage with people from around the world on an adult level. If I wanted to read toxic narcissists trolling with unhelpful replies which add no useful suggestions to the actual thread question(s), I'd go to unpleasant sites on the dark web.

How can a person block pointless replies intended to hurt or simply irritate other members or is this not a feature here other than "report post"?

Ignoring their replies is easy to do, but perhaps not all of us want threads tainted by those who have nothing useful to contribute in every single reply they make to every single thread they sully with their unwelcome and pitiful presence.

"Report post" is not always adequate if the replies are not per se offensive but are clearly solely intended to hurt, irritate and goad other members.

Thanks.

Hi,

You may use:
"View profile" of the member,
Then press "Add to ignore list"

... if you find the "report post" not adequate.

Klaus

If those unwelcome posts "are clearly solely intended to hurt, irritate and goad other members", report post is an adequate means because the author deserves a warning or infraction. I would emphasize "clearly", "solely" isn't a necessary condition.

As a side remark, post reports are forwarded to all moderators and should when possible limited to cases demanding an immediate action. A private message to a moderator already engaged in the respective thread or known to be presently online is a possible alternative.

I believe, that the problem is more with those replies that are not clearly and may be not even intentionally unhelpful.

There's no way to block unwanted posts in "your" thread. The best way to deal with it is to tell unemotionally that you don't recognize an answer to the question raised in the thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I presume "add to ignore list" can't have other effects than blocking private messages or possibly subscription alerts. Thus I don't think that it solves the discussed problem.

Hi,

Thanks. Anything's better than nothing. Appreciate both your inputs.

To be frank about what I think, I have interacted with a few people with "borderline personality disorder" before and my conclusion is that while I can empathise with their difficulties, I'm not a psychiatrist or a punchbag and so I have no time for those who can only interact via their toxic self show of confrontation without purpose, the same as I wouldn't I drink bleach.

Each person's time is as valuable as they consider it to be. And on we continue.

Sometimes it helps to keep perspective when we apply the expression: "It takes all kinds to make a world."

It's true in daily life and at message boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.