Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to avoid glitch in our digital circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohamis288

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

My design (8-bit FIR filter) in Questa acts unexpectedly. this occurs at the clock edge. for example in the following image, you can see, some internodes have a jump. in the following image, I have shown some of the jumps in the internodes and output analog signal.

Screenshot (365).png

as shown in the log file, a warning is:

Code:
#

# Compile of FIR_TestBench.v was successful.
# Compile of netlist.v was successful.
# Compile of tcbn65lp.v was successful.
# 3 compiles, 0 failed with no errors.
vsim -sdftyp /uut=/home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf work.FIR_TestBench
# End time: 18:10:00 on Feb 17,2023, Elapsed time: 0:05:05
# Errors: 0, Warnings: 109
# vsim -sdftyp "/uut=/home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf" work.FIR_TestBench
# Start time: 18:10:00 on Feb 17,2023
# ** Note: (vsim-3813) Design is being optimized due to module recompilation...
# Loading work.FIR_TestBench(fast)
# Loading work.FIR_Filter(fast)
# Loading work.DFCNQD1(fast)
# Loading work.CKND0(fast)
# Loading work.FA1D0(fast)

# Loading work.NR2D0(fast)
# Loading work.AN2D0(fast)
# Loading work.MAOI22D0(fast)
# Loading instances from /home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf
# Loading timing data from /home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf
# ** Warning: (vsim-SDF-16107) /home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf(193): The interconnect '/FIR_TestBench/uut/my_data_in' is not connected to the destination '/FIR_TestBench/uut/U38/A2'.
# The interconnect request will be replaced with a port annotation at the destination.
# ** Warning: (vsim-SDF-16107) /home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf(195): The interconnect '/FIR_TestBench/uut/my_data_in' is not connected to the destination '/FIR_TestBench/uut/U37/A2'.
# The interconnect request will be replaced with a port annotation at the destination.
# ** Warning: (vsim-SDF-16107) /home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf(197): The interconnect '/FIR_TestBench/uut/my_data_in' is not connected to the destination '/FIR_TestBench/uut/U36/A2'.
# ** Warning: (vsim-SDF-16107) /home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf(205): The interconnect '/FIR_TestBench/uut/my_data_in' is not connected to the destination '/FIR_TestBench/uut/U31/A1'.
# ** Warning: (vsim-SDF-16107) /home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf(209): The interconnect '/FIR_TestBench/uut/my_data_in' is not connected to the destination '/FIR_TestBench/uut/U30/C'.
# ** Warning: (vsim-SDF-16107) /home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf(266): The interconnect '/FIR_TestBench/uut/my_data_in' is not connected to the destination '/FIR_TestBench/uut/add_2_root_add_51_6/U2/A1'.
# ** Warning: (vsim-SDF-16107) /home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf(268): The interconnect '/FIR_TestBench/uut/my_data_in' is not connected to the destination '/FIR_TestBench/uut/add_2_root_add_51_6/U1/A1'.
# ** Warning: (vsim-SDF-16107) /home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf(286): The interconnect '/FIR_TestBench/uut/my_data_in' is not connected to the destination '/FIR_TestBench/uut/add_2_root_add_51_6/U1_2/B'.
# ** Warning: (vsim-SDF-16107) /home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf(414): The interconnect '/FIR_TestBench/uut/my_data_in' is not connected to the destination '/FIR_TestBench/uut/DFF0/\data_delayed_reg[0] /D'.
# ** Warning: (vsim-SDF-16107) /home/user1/CAD/final/netlist9.sdf(417): The interconnect '/FIR_TestBench/uut/my_data_in' is not connected to the destination '/FIR_TestBench/uut/DFF0/\data_delayed_reg[1] /D'.
# ** Warning: (vsim-3448) /home/user1/CAD/Lib/tcbn65lp.v(9191): Timing check limit can not be negative. Setting negative check constraint (-10 ps) to zero.
#    Time: 0 ps  Iteration: 0  Instance: /FIR_TestBench/uut/DFF5/\data_delayed_reg[0]
# ** Warning: (vsim-3448) /home/user1/CAD/Lib/tcbn65lp.v(9190): Timing check limit can not be negative. Setting negative check constraint (-10 ps) to zero.
#    Time: 0 ps  Iteration: 0  Instance: /FIR_TestBench/uut/DFF5/\data_delayed_reg[0]
# ** Warning: (vsim-3448) /home/user1/CAD/Lib/tcbn65lp.v(9191): Timing check limit can not be negative. Setting negative check constraint (-10 ps) to zero.
#    Time: 0 ps  Iteration: 0  Instance: /FIR_TestBench/uut/DFF5/\data_delayed_reg[1]

# ** Note: (vsim-3587) SDF Backannotation Successfully Completed.
#    Time: 0 ps  Iteration: 0  Instance: /FIR_TestBench File: /home/user1/CAD/final/final/FIR_TestBench.v
add wave -position end sim:/FIR_TestBench/uut/*
run -all

negative check constrant WARNINGS are related to outputs of flip-flops. is this causing any problem?
also some of the warnings are related to the connections. When I synthesized My Verilog code in the 'Design vision', I checked schematic view. nothing was floated.
Also when I was synthesizing my project in 'Design vision', the following warning was shown:

Code:
verilog 'assign' or 'tran' statements are written out. (vo-4)

can you tell me how can I resolve this? this is my first project with VLSI design.

BR

Last edited:

Similar glitches occur in ripple counters, leading to the invention of synchronous counters.

The closeup below has the type of momentary glitches which I see (in simulation) when cascading logic gates. It's unsightly even though my Boolean arrangement might be correct.
I've found a glitch might be solved by substituting a workaround. Example, where the glitch comes from an AND gate, substitute the negative-NOR arrangement (or anything with an identical truth table).

www.electronics-tutorials.ws/boolean/demorgan.html

closeup screenshot Feb18.png

Glitches occur in combinational logic signals but not in registered outputs. In the "analog" presentation of the output vector some glitches are apparently produced due to delay skew between individual output bits. From a digital signal processing viewpoint they are not real, because the signal needs to be valid only at sampling time.

used output latch/register to solve it,
else replace the combo ckt with clock based design

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back