Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to assing PML in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

arxlan

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to assign PML in HFSS

Dear all,

I am trying to simulate a Frequency Selective Surface in HFSS, for which i require to assign PML to the designed structure.
Can anyone let me know how to assign PML to the FSS design.

Thanks!

Arslan.

For assigning a PML boundary to any surface in HFSS: select the face,right click and select assign boundaries: you should select PML setup wizard, in the PML setup : change the minimum frequency for your design. Make sure the Master/Slave boundaries include the PML. That's all.

Generally, for designing FSSs is HFSS, you can go with three options:
1) Using Perf E and Perf H boundaries
2) Using Master/Slave boundaries with PML setup and Plane wave excitation
3) Using Floquet ports.

There are lot of tutorials online which give detailed instructions on how to design FSSs in HFSS.

-sv

Thank you so much for the reply.

I am doing it by using option 2 as you mentioned above. But the problem is that
i'm not able to get the Transmission and Reflection plot according to the desired requirement.
Even Floquet ports are not giving the right results. I think i am making some sort of mistake as i don't know the
exact way to assign the boundaries.

Hi Arxlan,
Which FSS structure are you planning to design ? I can design it for you and send you the HFSS project.

-sv

Reactions: arxlan

arxlan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello,

Thats so nice of you. I'm trying to validate paper titled "Single-Layer High-Order Miniaturized-Element Frequency-Selective Surfaces", In this paper three
designs have been presented, but i'm simulating the Design#1 to get familiar with Transmission and Reflection Characteristics.
Should i provide you with the HFSS file i already tried or you will simulate by yourself?

@sv1437

I think i twill be easier for you to look at the file i simulated and modify it so that i can get my desired results.

When i simulate it using Master/Slave boundaries with PML setup and Plane wave excitation, following warning pops up
and in the end some random results obtained. Not like the one i want to get.

Last edited:

Hi Arxlan, Is it Fig. 2 in the paper ?

-sv

arxlan

Hello,

Yes the Unit cell is shown in Figure 2 and the Design parameters are given in Table 1.
I am still working on it but not able to simulate it successfully.
Hope you will do it and let me know what i;m doing wrong.

Regards,
Arslan

Hi arxlan,

I am attaching the HFSS design. As I mentioned earlier there are three ways to design FSS structures. Generally, if the FSS structure is symmetric, perf E/perf H option is easy and faster. It takes very less simulation time. So I simulated the structure with variable capacitor. And was able to reproduce Fig. 6.

In the paper, the author did not mention the length of the wire loop. So I used 3.9mm

If you still want the design with PML boundaries, let me know.

-sv

Attachments

• Bayatpur_Design.zip
    19.9 KB · Views: 256

arxlan

Hello,

Thank you for the attachment. I will analyze and try to achieve the exact results as shown in Fig 6.
Hopefully i will succeed in doing that.

Before that i was trying to do it using PML boundaries, but i think first i should analyze using perf E/perf H.
Will let you know soon.

Thanks again,
Arxlan.

Hi

I have problem with getting the S parameter of a rectangular wave guide whose boundaries in x an y direction is PML. there are some tutorials about how to assign PML and they use incident wave excitation , However since I need S parameter I should have 2 ports. Considering a simple air wave guide which ideally should have 1 S21 in frequency domain. but it does not. I think I may have problem in assigning a proper port. i would be appreciated if any one guide me.

Status
Not open for further replies.