Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to add reverse polarity connection protection to a power mosfet circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

yougarage

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! I'm designing a simple power mosfet circuit to interface a MCU to a 12 volts system.
The schematic is attached, I'd like to have a suggestion if any improvement could be made, in particular I'd need to add a reverse polarity connection protection.
How could this be achieved?
I tought to add a diode across the power inputs and a fuse just before that, but I'm afraid the mosfet could melt before the fuse...
Untitled-1.png

Re: power mosfet circuit

Hi, the reverse polarity protection for the 12V is just a diode in the supply line, which however reduces the supply voltage availabe to the MCP14E3 and the FET. If you want to protect other connection agains each other(e.g. input against 12V or GND) it gets more complex. What power output you want to get from the two outputs and why you have D1 in there(if reduces high level on the outputs of the MCP14E3)? To interfacing the microcontroller to the industrial environment this application might be usefull to look at: iC-Haus Homepage - Welcome .

Enjoy your design work!

If two CMOS transistors are connected in series, both may be turned on by a single gate voltage.

signal ----- drain ----- source ----- source ----- drain -----ground

In this configuration, when the fets are off, the signal may vary + or - and no conduction occurs. When the gates are taken high (on), both fets are on together and will conduct + or - signals to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.