Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to add a jumper in P*orel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanren

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,when i design a single layer or two layer board sometimes,i need a jumper,but i do not know what to do in protel.when run a DRC,it will tell uconnect.
thanks a lot!

You have two choices:

1. Ignore the DRC message. You know that it isn't a real error.

2. Use zero ohm resistors to represent jumpers. The component will show on the schematic, and in the netlist. The DRC won't see an open; it will see a component where one is expected.

It is possible make new part - piece wire instead resistor.
Sch is then more transparent

pool_77

thanks every one!
but these mothods have these own shorcomings:
1:if i ignore the drc,when many jumps needed,it is easy to make a mistake;
2:a zero resistor need to change sch,but may be a good choice.
pool77 have a good way,but more complicated.
thanks a lot!
REGARDS!

Normally I use 2-pin or 3-pin SIP connector for jumper, use other component such as resistor for flying wire.

shanrens problem is simple, Protel does not support auto jumper insertion like PPCB or others. It also does not support back annotaion of added parts.

If you want to make work around, and you want to keep netlist intact and will use wire link or wire link with body then you answer is simple.

Add an extra layer in the layer stackup manager, decide on a standard link size, example 10 mm jumper.

To the left hand side, outside of your board area place a pad [A] 1.2mm round with 0.6mm hole. Place a second pad 10mm away from it, draw a track 1mm thick from pad [A] to pad you now have a virtual link.

Select all thes parts, select the pads & track, click copy, click on pad [A] centre for copy focus point. You now have virtual link in clipboard.

Next time you need jumper, stop the actual track you are drawing in aclear area, paste the virtual link by placing the pad on top of the track on your main board, use space bar to rotate if needed. When pasted the virtual link, which contains no nets, will pick up the net of the track you just attached it to.

When you finish your board, when you print this link layer, you will need to manually count links. If you want co-ordinates for auto insertion , you will need to get these manually and the links will not be in the BOM.

Hope this makes sense, just ask any more questions and I will edit the post so it makes sense.

R

thanks all.i think many methods of above is good,i will try them in my job.
best wishes!

Hi all

I autoroute the board in bottom layer only, (Go to menus, Design Rules routing layers, properties, set Top layer not used, scroll the bar, bottom layer set to any) after complete, run drc, and unroute all shorted net, when complete to resolve al violations (shorted) you have some unrouted nets, being to route the unrouted nets using intereactive routing from bottom layer, (horizontaly or Verticaly, you choice best way) when encounter a obstacle jump to top layer using * key, this put a via on multilayer and go to clean point that you put another via by hit the * key to return to bottom layer, complete the track in the bottom layer and make a final connection, label the jumpers in top layer to easy identified it,

all Top layer tracks horizontaly or verticaly are the jumpers, when you print the top layer use it's as a guide to put the jumpers in final pcb, remember label it

mcmc
mcmc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back