Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to access NTFS from Red Hat 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmacore

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I decided to install Red Hat 9. but I still want Windows, so I install Red Hat together with Windows XP. the problem is, when I want to access drive C (NTFS) from linux, i cannot do it. but, I can access drive D (FAT32). Is there something wrong with my installation?

No, there is nothing wrong with your installation. You just need to install the NTFS driver into your kernel. The NTFS driver for linux is read only I believe.

Is it stable or not? is there any possibility that this driver can crash my hard drive? i have downloaded it but not installed it yet.

Just follow the instructions and install it. It will work fine. But remember, take my advice and use it for read only. Otherwise you wind up corrupting your NTFS data.

There is Paragon.NTFS.for.Linux.3x.v51Update which is able to write and read NTFS.

The NTFS driver distributed with the kernel is not really for writing.
This Paragon thing I'm not aware of.
penfit_wi, how well does it work?

I think we need a kernal to access NTFS. But I can not install the kernal introduced by Thinkie

If you are brave and eager to learn something new I recommond you to compile the linux kernel with NTFS support by your self and install it. I did it recently without a problem.

goto: https://www.kernel.org

download a latest vversion of the kernel.
follow the instructions given in the readme file
Then compile it.
enjoy...

You have an other option...Use a LiveCD version such as Knoppix(https://www.knoppix.net) when you want to access the NTFS partiotions. It is safer adn easier.

recompile your kernel, add ntfs support(read only).
or you can try suse/mandrake, they support ntfs.

U have to compile kernel with ntfs module enabled.
for kernel source check /usr/share/doc if ur using redhat..
u can check out Knoppix it's boots and run's from CD/DVD.. no need to recompile or install linux in ur system.. it has ntfs support 2.

I ended up converting my NTFS to FAT32 using Paragon Partition manager. It took 2-3 hours but Fedora could mount it up easily with:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/WinXP

You can also convert to FAT32 using Partition Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.