Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] how this circuit regulate voltage and current ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle-elec

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi . i cant understand the logic of this circuit . i just know this is a regulator and Vout is about 12.5 to 13 volt . but what about current controlling ? while there is no sense resistor , is there any control of current ?! if there then How ?
1599472571067.png

Hi,

Voltage limit:
5V supply goes to Q2 base. The emitter is 0.6V less = 4.4V
But when the output voltage is high enough (@ 4.4V + 8.2V = 12.6V) then Q2 emitter will be higher than 4.4V making V_BE less than 0.6V and thus Q2 switches OFF.

Current limit:
Voltage across R2 is 4.4V making 0.94mA of emitter current. Collector current is slightly less.
So if Q1 h-FE is 100 (just as example. Didn´t read the datsheet) then the output current is limited to 100 x 0.94mA = 94mA.

Klaus

Hi,

Voltage limit:
5V supply goes to Q2 base. The emitter is 0.6V less = 4.4V
But when the output voltage is high enough (@ 4.4V + 8.2V = 12.6V) then Q2 emitter will be higher than 4.4V making V_BE less than 0.6V and thus Q2 switches OFF.

Current limit:
Voltage across R2 is 4.4V making 0.94mA of emitter current. Collector current is slightly less.
So if Q1 h-FE is 100 (just as example. Didn´t read the datsheet) then the output current is limited to 100 x 0.94mA = 94mA.

Klaus
Dear Klaus . Thanks a lot . how much can i decrease the R2 to get more current . i think so ic of q2 is my limit ? is it correct ?

Hi,
i think so ic of q2 is my limit ? is it correct ?

I_limit = IC_Q2 * h_FE_Q1

... as calculated above....

Klaus

added:

How much decrease of R2:
Either you or I need to read the datasheets of Q1 and Q2. I recommend you do it on your own ;-)
Check: Max current, max power dissipation, calculate max expectable temperature rise.

Then additionally it depends on what situation: Short circuited output or normal output.

Status
Not open for further replies.