Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How thick is the ground plane of patch antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng.dreamer

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how thick is a plane

hi all;

I am working on a patch antenna for mobile handset, as I know the PCB of the mobile acts like a ground for the antenna (doesn't it?!), I just want to know what is the practical thickness of such ground, and if it's possible what's the material of the PCB?

Thanx in advance

patch antenna ground plane in mobile phones

- With the increase in height, the fringing fields from the edges increase, this increases the extension in effective patch length, however decreasing the resonance frequency.
-The Bandwidth of the patch antenna increases with height.
-Generally, the patch antenna efficiency increases with an increase in the substrate thickness initially due to the increase in the radiated power.
-Decreasing the substrate Dielectric Constant Er the Bandwidth of the patch antenna increases.

For Mobile they may be using FR4 or any teflon pcb.
(depend on cost & quality)
The thickness of copper(ground plane) may be 1oz, 1/2 oz rolled.
(It is surely less than 0.1mm I guess.)
Please correct me if I wrong,
Human body also acts as a ground & it affects radiation performance.
I hope this is the answer youe are expecting!!.

To use the human body as a ground for a patch antenna, is something that really need a patent…or a correction, as you said.

I was not saying about using human body a patch antenna ground plane.
I wanted to tell about effect of human body on patch antenna performance.
since he is talking about mobile device, so I remembered that & I posted.

well my friends less than 0.1mm is too small, do u mean the metal thikness of the PCB?
Anyway, do u know a well known supplier where i can have such details from?

I would recommend to use for your mobile design, instead of a Patch antenna, a PIFA (Planar Inverted F Antenna). Actually the last one is the most used approach in mobile phones.

PIFA have multiple advantages over Patch antenna in a mobile design:
Slightly wider bandwidth, availability for multi-band design, higher gain in both vertical and horizontal polarization, less sensitivity to human body interaction (due to large current flows on the under-surface of the planar element and the ground plane).
The distance between the active element and the PCB ground for a PIFA antenna used in a handset, is not standard, and it is somewhere between 3 to 6mm (or maybe more if the handset design allows for higher thickness).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back