Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how the win98,xp etc . recognise new HW attached on IDE, US

Status
Not open for further replies.

keen

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello to all ,

Any one can tell me how the win98,xp etc . recognise the new HW attached on IDE, USB or other pheripheral conectors? How wins know
that and how wins knows which driver have to use .. The global problem
is I do not know how the wins works in princip and anything about it modular structure..
Any1 wants hlep me? and give me the advice where to find the book of sam wins basic priciples? not to heawy book , just to pick up the overwiev
and azimut ..

thank you for all good advice ... best regards keen

Actually, almost anything you need is in DDK. Device Driver Kit from microsoft. It used to be free for download. Now it is free for MSDN sub scriber. If you had it. Its help file will be everything you want to know.

Re: how the win98,xp etc . recognise new HW attached on IDE

In the case of a hot plugged device like a USB thingy, USB has four connections, two power supply lines and two differential signal lines. One signal line is pulled up with a resistor, pulling up one line indicates a low speed device, the other, a high speed device. The line being pulled up signals the OS that a device has been attached, the OS then goes through a process of enumeration, requesting device descriptors from the device that describe it's functions. The OS then searches it's database of drivers and loads the appropriate one.

Re: how the win98,xp etc . recognise new HW attached on IDE

Hi,

there is a Plug'n Play protocol for almost all peripherals in the PC, starting with PCI, and USB (these are native PnP) and going on with the serial port, parallel port and ISA. If you search around the net you'll find these protocols, or drop a message and I'll send them to you. As far as I know the IDE interface has no PnP or other kind of hot plug protocol for finding devices.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back