Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how relay contact can be protected from di/dt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramp

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody,
I am using a relay contact to drive contactar coil(ac, 2A)which is at remote place.
How can i protect relay contact from di/dt at relay contact end.

You culd try using an R/C combination (for example 100 ohms in series with 220nF snubber circuit) or a varistor parallel to the relais contact.

best regards

tramp

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hope this help

Code:
 [url]https://www.naisweb.com/e/relaye/mech_eng/mech_eng_rtia/idapm4w.html[/url]

tramp

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I'm new to this. can i know what is "di/dt at relay contact end" ?

thanks

Several ways there are to do this. First, try the capacitor idea. Put it parallel to the contacts, about .1-1 µfd should do. The other way is to put a diode across the coil of your contactor. Make sure that the diode is rated at a high enough voltage for the contactor coil (add about 20 volts at least to the coil's rated voltage), the same for the capacitor.

Thanks everybody for valuable solutions.

Hi vicky29

"di/dt at relay contact end" means I want to protect reley contact for high inrush current of load and load is not at my product end it is at user end.

Status
Not open for further replies.