Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How much does an aluminium enclosure wrapping improve the Radiated EMC test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hi,
Page 66 of the RDR-805 100W Offline flyback design report by Power integrations shows a aluminium inner casing for their totally enclosed PSU.....how much will this improve the radiated EMC test results (approvals testing)?...compared to not having the aluminium inner casing, and just the plastic casing?

RDR-805
**broken link removed**

Hi!

from my expirience in EMC testing of power supply with and without aluminium case, ps in case produces less conductive emi, cant remember numbers, but significant. So i think, in radiated emi will be the same

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I think it depends on the case return path (how good,
and to where) whether it acts as a shield or an antenna.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks, yes, and i believe that it depends to which node on the circuit it is connected to. eg preferably a quiet node and preferably ground. If its an offline SMPS, then you wonder whether to connect it to earth , or secondary ground? Also, prefereably it only connects to the circuit in one place only?

I also wonder if a carbon fibre covering would be as good.?

Status
Not open for further replies.