Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How much current draws by a software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ransiluj

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hey all!!
can anyone tell about how much current does software take? if it is, can you please put the software name and the how much current it takes in here.
Thank you! :)

Let me explain what I understand from your question.
Software is just codes and when it converts to machine language it is loaded in resistors(flip-flops) as 0 or 1's.
In this manner, the loading of all registers/ (F-F's) will be equal to (no of F/F *current consumption for single Flip flop).
180nm technology, Flip-flop current consumption demends on the clock speed and operating voltage. but still we can assume 10nA*1.8V.
Hope you asked the thing I explained.

well that is what i want to know. We are building a device which can measure the power consumption that software takes, For that we need to measure the different different currents that softwares take. Yes you are right theoretically. If i ask you this question will you able to answer me? how much current does CPU draws when you running Paint in the PC?

May be I am not the correct person to ask.It all depends upon how many bits used to execute the Paint or notepad. These are very small applications. and may be 8 bit used to execute it.
Please try to google JPEG forums for more detail.

well thank you.. if there is anyone knows about this please let us know

The amount of current draw will depend on the load placed on the processor and the power consumption of the processor at different loads - it depends on the processor itself. A netbook Atom/Bobcat processor will draw much less power than a desktop Core i/Piledriver processor.

Paint and notepad will place very little load on modern processors. The current draw due to these software only will be very little and the total current draw will be close to idle current draw.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

The amount of current draw will depend on the load placed on the processor and the power consumption of the processor at different loads - it depends on the processor itself. A netbook Atom/Bobcat processor will draw much less power than a desktop Core i/Piledriver processor.

Paint and notepad will place very little load on modern processors. The current draw due to these software only will be very little and the total current draw will be close to idle current draw.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

yes thank you for you help. Actually we like to know how much current that software takes. Any software. So i like to know about the software and the current and the pc that software run. all these details. If there is anyone who do such thing is welcome to help me becasue he can tell me about his values. So i can get an idea about those currents. :)

Use a power meter (or similar) to measure the power draw by the computer. Measure power draw with different software. For fair comparison minimize background tasks as much as possible. Turn off the antivirus. Close all other open windows and running applications.

You could also use software to record the current/power draw. Something like they do in benchmarks: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-16.html

well we can't spend money to buy a another meter because that is the thing what we are building here. A power meter which is more sensitive to measure the small power taken by software. simply power meter that can measure the power that software consume. :)

For that we are doing research about how much that draw from a software when it is running. So we ask about how much current drawn by a software if someone measure such thing. :) Thank you very much you help and we appreciate you help alot..

Use the Windows Task Manager and measure the CPU usage for different SW applications. That will be direct proportional to the 'power" used by the said SW applications

Use the Windows Task Manager and measure the CPU usage for different SW applications. That will be direct proportional to the 'power" used by the said SW applications

well wot is SW application ?

software is not responsible for the power drawn it is the hardware for example you try to open photoshop in a Pll machine with 512mb ram it takes 2 minutes approx, you open the same on P4 Dual core 4GB ram within seconds it is open. case one you used the computer for 2 minutes , case 2 you used it only for seconds.

software is not responsible for the power drawn it is the hardware for example you try to open photoshop in a Pll machine with 512mb ram it takes 2 minutes approx, you open the same on P4 Dual core 4GB ram within seconds it is open. case one you used the computer for 2 minutes , case 2 you used it only for seconds.

Software is also responsible. Your computer will draw far more power in CPU/GPU intensive applications like games, than it will when playing music or word-processing.

yes thank you for you help. Actually we like to know how much current that software takes. Any software. So i like to know about the software and the current and the pc that software run. all these details. If there is anyone who do such thing is welcome to help me becasue he can tell me about his values. So i can get an idea about those currents. :)

Question is relative. Best is to measure and get actual measured value in some situation when you testing some software (Photoshop, games, file managements tools,...)

Example: If you use some software with lots of small files, and software needs it, or you have small amount of RAM memory, you will get more working time of HD.... Whats load is on CPU and GPU during games or some other software ? Game is Windows OS Solitair or FarCry....

On first place you should know how PC works, and answer will show up itself. For actual value do the measurement.

For desktop PCs I think this is useless, but for laptops this can have some role in prolonging battery working time.

:wink:

You can test this situation and see results. Turn on PC without OS, or just enter in BIOS Setup and make measurement, then make measurement while PC runs OS and some game like Call of Duty.

Software controls lots of hardware in PCs.

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.