Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How measure inductor 10nH -100uH without LCR meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berger.h

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need measute incuctor promali low inductance indictor 10-1000 nH
I have not LCR meter.
My first choice is Resonance measurement, but maybe you advise a better method

The "grid dip" (AKA, Resonance measurement) method is the old school method of measuring inductance.

I guess you chose LC resonance because it is not as much affected by ohmic resistance?
On the other hand an inductor-only measurement has a problem, because the L/R time constant is thrown off by internal ohmic resistance.

I try various oscillator arrangements with inductors, just to see different ways they behave. I like the idea of making do with the least number of components. It seems to me that the simplest circuit should be easiest to get a direct measurement from. And perhaps the most correct measurement.

I need to measure large in size inductors with low ohmic resistance, wire about AWG 21 - 24.
Therefore, ohmic resistance can be neglected, perhaps

But I have second question.
I have torid RFC in drain power amplifer transistor on about 15MHz 50V
RFC.png

I measured L=12.5uH but toroid core is unknown

-**broken link removed**
-ferrite 4C65
- Iron Powder Material 7
- any other?

- - - Updated - - -

I think, which material is most suitable for this type of coils

build some simple meter like this one : **broken link removed**

or buy one of these multi-testers around $15 : **broken link removed**

GM328A is a nice toy, but not for measuring nH inductor, this gadget measure low inductace coil only with resonsnce capacitor in series. Therefore, in this case an adult signal generator better a more accurate choice.

Hi,

Connect L and C in series, then at resonance frequency you get very low impedance.
Check if your generator can handle this.
The benefit of this configuration is that the C blocks DC..

In other configuration you need to take care that DC current may cause neasurement errors.

Btw: in headline you talk about 10nH .... 100uH, which is 100 000nH,
But in text you talk about 10nH ... 1000nH only

Klaus

GM328A is a nice toy, but not for measuring nH inductor, this gadget measure low inductace coil only with resonsnce capacitor in series. Therefore, in this case an adult signal generator better a more accurate choice.

oups, did not notice the 100nH ... thanks for pointing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.