Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How many transistors can I stack on top of each other in single stage cascode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobben24

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

How can i find out how many transistors I can stack on top of each other with a given Vdd before loosing to much output swing? I have a specification which states that my Vdd = 2V and an output swing of 90% of Vdd. I am using 0.35u.

Last edited:

Re: Single stage cascode

That would leave you with 0.1V of headroom. Don't think you can afford cascodes with any technology.

hi,
for every transistor you put you loose an overdrive voltage, Vov. so assuming Vov = 0.2, you will be capable of using only one transistor, it seems.

Thanks for the answers:) But how can you calculate this Vov?

Vov is the difference between your Vgs and threshold voltage. i.e. Vov = Vgs - Tth.

the theory behind is this:

you know that the voltage drop on a trs is the voltage drop from drain to source, i. e Vds.

for an n-mos transistor you need Vds > Vgs - Vth for the trs to be in saturation region. this is given.

so for sat Vds > Vov. but when you bias your transistor for the maximum output swing you bias your transistor with a voltge s.t Vds is approximately equal to Vov or just a little bit larger. so for the hand calculation you can assume Vds = Vov. for an p-mos it is similar but Vds < Vov.

Status
Not open for further replies.