Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How long routing on a PCB needs time 6.55 nS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruwan2

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have an S-Parameters in Matlab. I find that the delay time is 6.55 nS after fitting the S-Parameters to a sum of rational components. On web, I find that 1 nS can pass 1 foot in free space. Can I use this to estimate PCB routing time? I try and get the PCB length is 6.55 * 1=6.55 foot=6.55*12 inch=78 inch. This seems too long from this back-plane on a serial link. Am I wrong?

Please correct me if you could.

Thanks,

1 nS can pass 1 foot in free space. Can I use this to estimate PCB routing time?

Due to the dielectric material of the PCB, the wave is slower for PCB lines. If the field would be completely in the PCB material, it would be slower by sqrt(epsilon_r) where epsilon_r is the dielectric materials permittivity. For FR4 material, epsilon_r is around 4.2 ... 4.9.

So if we assume that all the electric field is in FR4 material, 1ns delay would correspond to approximately 0.47 ft

(This estimate is not exact. For a microstrip line, where some of the electric field is in air, the effective permittivity is smaller than the dielectric materials permittivity. The exact value depends on line width etc. )

Reactions: ruwan2

ruwan2

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back