Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How long does it take for a pulldown resiter to bring logic 1 to 0 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostinxlation

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How long does it take for a pulldown resistor to bring logic 1 to 0 ?

One of the designs I have has a bi-directional IO with a pulldown, and, at some occasion, the IO is configured as an output driven by 1, and then output enable to the IO gets deasserted, which leaves the IO high impedance. I'd expect the logic level to come down to 0 through a pulldown resistor, but I don't see that's happening and the IO net remains high. May not be a good design to use the pulldown resistor to discharge the IO net that is fully charged, but, besides that, how long does it usually take for a pull down resistor to bring the logic level 1 to 0 ?

The FPGA is Virtex4, using ISE13.1 for synthesis/P&R.

Last edited:

It all depends on what is connected to the line. If the pin is truly an open-collector style logic, then just about any pull-down resistor (10k-100k) should be sufficient to discharge the minimal part capacitance and pull the line low. If the line is staying high, even with a moderate pull-down (10k), I'd check all of the circuits touching that net... something has to be keeping it high.

A weak pull-down will never bring the voltage down when something is still pulling it up, but if the circuit is purely capacitive have a look at the attached graph ..

:wink:
IanP

Attachments

• capdis.gif
    capdis.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 120

it's a issue about the specific RC circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor