Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how large should the output pad driver be to achieve a speed of 500MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

seahs

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what are the typical capacitance for output pad, off chip connection wire and input of the oscilloscope?

I am quite new to IC fabrication and unsure about how many times larger I should size the output buffer, compared to the minimum sized transistor.
BTW, I am using STM65nm

You can get 5...50pF range easily, depending on environment,- PCB implementation, length of wiring, oscilloscope type,...

advice 1: forget about 500MHz for simple CMOS driver,- you will see anything but not a clean signal due to inductive noise (~LxdI/dt); see in direction of CML, LVDS, ... differential driver type with line termination;
advice 2: size of driver transistors is defined often not only by electrical parameters, but ESD protection requirements also,- it should be defined in DR document. So clarify importance of ESD requirements primarily and follow or forget it.
advice 3: if IC isn't commercial and you can ignore ESD requirements, size of driver transistors will give simulation/optimization process. In opposite case an increasing skill in IO design with reading/education of a lot papers will be obligatory to avoid disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back