Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How is running Linux software on windows through docker possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwards01

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking to install a software that is Linux only, but I read that it’s possible to use my Windows machine if I use docker to install it...how is this possible. Doesn’t docker use the host OS (windows)

Docker can run on various host machines, and the target OS runs inside the virtual machine.

Other virtual machines -

1622229789469.png

And Bluestacks to run Android on windows.....

Regards, Dana.

c_mitra

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
WSL is probably not this "docker" but a full Ubuntu distro using Windows interface for graphics and other resources.

Want to run Linux ? Remove its Windows drive.
Find an erased healthy hard drive that fits your compfuser and install the blank hard drive and load on it the Linux flavor of your choice.
If you do not like it, return your configuration to original, swapping the hard drives putting the Windows one back in. Nothing gets changed, altered nor risk to damage or contaminate the Linux drive with anything Microsoft.

Or run Linux on a USB 3 pendrive, it still works faster than Windows despite being on a removable device. Then use your computers boot menu to select it as the working drive.
I stopped using Windows many years ago and went down the Linux path, I would never turn back.

Externet - a good idea but some modern BIOS with UEFI can get confused when the drives are swapped. UEFI stores some of the drive information in reserved RAM or EEPROM on the motherboard.

Brian.

I have success after installing a free Linux package called Zorin on my vintage 2009 Dell laptop. I purchased spare 2.5 inch hard drives at EBay cheap. The laptop uses SATA type as I discovered when I pulled the HD. (It didn't use older ATA (or IDE) type which I had around.)

I prefer to have one OS per HD.

The Zorin package comes with scanning software (SimpleScan) which allows me to continue using two of my obsolete scanners. (They never worked with Win7 or Win10.) No need for me to spend more money.

I find that Zorin also runs from a $5 thumb drive.

I prefer to have one OS per HD.
Yes. That is also my strong feel. When upgrading too, another hard drive and the one being phased out of operation stays as a fully operational healthy backup well labeled until a safe period has elapsed in case there is a need to go back. Then can be reused for a future upgrade.

You can build a virtual machine and operate it on any system, or you can just use the team viewer to control another computer remotely. A the function of virtual machine is better, but it needs a lot of work, so you'd best to try the team viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.