Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How is running Linux software on windows through docker possible?

Edwards01

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking to install a software that is Linux only, but I read that it’s possible to use my Windows machine if I use docker to install it...how is this possible. Doesn’t docker use the host OS (windows)

danadakk

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Docker can run on various host machines, and the target OS runs inside the virtual machine.

Other virtual machines -

1622229789469.png

And Bluestacks to run Android on windows.....

Regards, Dana.

Externet

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Want to run Linux ? Remove its Windows drive.
Find an erased healthy hard drive that fits your compfuser and install the blank hard drive and load on it the Linux flavor of your choice.
If you do not like it, return your configuration to original, swapping the hard drives putting the Windows one back in. Nothing gets changed, altered nor risk to damage or contaminate the Linux drive with anything Microsoft.

betwixt

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Or run Linux on a USB 3 pendrive, it still works faster than Windows despite being on a removable device. Then use your computers boot menu to select it as the working drive.
I stopped using Windows many years ago and went down the Linux path, I would never turn back.

Externet - a good idea but some modern BIOS with UEFI can get confused when the drives are swapped. UEFI stores some of the drive information in reserved RAM or EEPROM on the motherboard.

Brian.

BradtheRad

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have success after installing a free Linux package called Zorin on my vintage 2009 Dell laptop. I purchased spare 2.5 inch hard drives at EBay cheap. The laptop uses SATA type as I discovered when I pulled the HD. (It didn't use older ATA (or IDE) type which I had around.)

I prefer to have one OS per HD.

The Zorin package comes with scanning software (SimpleScan) which allows me to continue using two of my obsolete scanners. (They never worked with Win7 or Win10.) No need for me to spend more money.

I find that Zorin also runs from a $5 thumb drive.

Externet

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I prefer to have one OS per HD.
Yes. That is also my strong feel. When upgrading too, another hard drive and the one being phased out of operation stays as a fully operational healthy backup well labeled until a safe period has elapsed in case there is a need to go back. Then can be reused for a future upgrade.

ChrisChris23

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
You can build a virtual machine and operate it on any system, or you can just use the team viewer to control another computer remotely. A the function of virtual machine is better, but it needs a lot of work, so you'd best to try the team viewer.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: