Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How interpret function: filter has a pole at -1000+j9949.87

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnetra

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Poles

A network function describing a filter has a pole at -1000+j9949.87 How can i interpret that? Is it that, if i give a signal with w = 9949.87 and sigma = -1000 the output is infinity? Or what is it??

Re: Poles

if u use MATLAB -1000+9949.87i = -10000

in MATLAB:

x=-1000+9949.87i
abs(x) <----this is to find the magnitude answer of X

:? Wow.
If your function could be put into the form of D(s)/N(s), you could get your pole location by N(s)=0. I believe your function was the result of a division?
Otherwise I don't know where the pole comes from.
I hope that helped u.

A pole is the value of the denominator fo a transfer function that results in a transfer function value of infinity. If the pole represents a real system, then it must have a conjugate "twin", i.e., there must be another pole at -1000 -j9949.87. Here are some physical interpretations of a pole:
. The higher the "Q" (Ratio of imaginary to real component), the more selective the filter will be, the more ripple there will be in the passband, and the more overshoot there will be for a step input, and the longer it takes for the oscillation to die out. The value of the imaginary component is the "undamped natural frequency" of the pole pair. This is the frequency at which the pole pair would oscillate if the real component were zero. The frequency at which the pole pair "rings" in response to a disturbance is always less than the undamped natural frequency.
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.