Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How important is the Pointer and when to use it ? (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
C Pointer

Hi,

Anyone can tell me is it the Pointer is very important and what the perpose/situation we use Pointer?

If we don't use it we can use other method to solve it?

Thank You.

Re: C Pointer

the pointers are simply variables that contain addresses of other variables or structures of data..They are the only way to deal with data that was dynamically allocated .It means data references that were not avalaible at the compilation time.
But also you can use them in complex referenciation of multi-level data structures
Finally they are also the only means to deal with precise hardware location from the high level language perspective without having to use Assambler !.

So to sumerize ..pointers are the reason of why C language can be used to write
Data bases operating systems and other complicated problems ..

equivalent mechanisms maybe present in other languages .. but they were copied from C

C Pointer

to understand importance of pointers let me get an example. as you know in C programming each function could return only a value at each time:
return value
if u have a function which should affect two or more varible of you what can you do? pointers make the programming so easy when you work with variables wich will be change in several functions.
or for having a matrix with variable columns pointer are only solution. for example you can not have a matrix with 3 rows which first have 3 columns, second have 1, and the last have only 2.
thess are only two examples of use of pointers also it have more uses. but i think it is enough to know the importance of pointers!

Help

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

mhamed said:
or for having a matrix with variable columns pointer are only solution. for example you can not have a matrix with 3 rows which first have 3 columns, second have 1, and the last have only 2.
thess are only two examples of use of pointers also it have more uses. but i think it is enough to know the importance of pointers!

Hi,

I quite interest about the 1st example but i still not understand the 2nd example can you explain more detail... :) .

Thanks...

Added after 28 minutes:

Hi,

Anyone got any webpage teach us how to use pointer from basic to advance because i need to try learn and understand it the pointer.

Thank you

Pointers are a very powerful, but primitive facility contained in the C language. Pointers are a throwback to the days of low-level assembly language programming and as a result they are
sometimes difficult to understand and subject to subtle and difficult-to-find errors. Still it has to be admitted that pointers are one of the great attractions of the C language and there will be

many an experienced C programmer splutering and fuming at the idea that we would dare to refer to pointers as 'primitive'!

In an ideal world we would avoid telling you about pointers until the very last minute, but without them many of the simpler aspects of C just don't make any sense at all. So, with apologies,
let's get on with pointers.

A variable is an area of memory that has been given a name. For example:

int x;

is an area of memory that has been given the name x. The advantage of this scheme is that you can use the name to specify where to store data. For example:

x=lO;

is an instruction to store the data value 10 in the area of memory named x. The variable is such a fundamental idea that using it quickly becomes second nature, but there is another way of
working with memory.

The computer access its own memory not by using variable names but by using a memory map with each location of memory uniquely defined by a number, called the address of that
memory location.

A pointer is a variable that stores this location of memory. In more fundamental terms, a pointer stores the address of a variable . In more picturesque terms, a pointer points to a variable.

A pointer has to be declared just like any other variable - remember a pointer is just a variable that stores an address. For example,

int *p;

is a pointer to an integer. Adding an asterisk in front of a variable's name declares it to be a pointer to the declared type. Notice that the asterisk applies only to the single variable name that it
is in front of, so:

int *p , q;

declares a pointer to an int and an int variable, not two pointers.

Once you have declared a pointer variable you can begin using it like any other variable, but in practice you also need to know the meaning of two new operators: & and *. The & operator

returns the address of a variable. You can remember this easily because & is the 'A'mpersand character and it gets you the 'A'ddress. For example:

int *p , q;

declares p, a pointer to int, and q an int and the instruction:

p=&q;

stores the address of q in p. After this instruction you can think of p as pointing at q. Compare this to:

p=q;

which attempts to store the value in q in the pointer p - something which has to be considered an error.

The second operator * is a little more difficult to understand. If you place * in front of a pointer variable then the result is the value stored in the variable pointed at. That is, p stores the

address, or pointer, to another variable and *p is the value stored in the variable that p points at.

The * operator is called the dereferencing operator and it helps not to confuse it with multiplication or with its use in declaring a pointer.

This multiple use of an operator is called operator overload.

Confused? Well most C programmers are confused when they first meet pointers. There seems to be just too much to take in on first acquaintance. However there are only three basic ideas:

1.To declare a pointer add an * in front of its name.
2.To obtain the address of a variable us & in front of its name.
3.To obtain the value of a variable use * in front of a pointer's name.

Now see if you can work out what the following means:

int *a , b , c;
b = 10;
a = &b;
c = *a;

Firstly three variables are declared - a (a pointer to int), and b and c (both standard integers). The instruction stores the value l0 in the varable b in the usual way. The first 'difficult'

instruction is a=&b which stores the address of b in a. After this a points to b.

Finally c = *a stores the value in the varable pointed to by a in c. As a points to b, its value i.e. 1O is stored in c. In other words, this is a long winded way of writing

c = b;

Notice that if a is an int and p is a pointer to an int then

a = p;

is nonsense because it tries to store the address of an int, i.e. a pointer value, in an int. Similarly:

a = &p;

tries to store the address of a pointer variable in a and is equally wrong! The only assignment between an int and a pointer to int that makes sense is:

a = *p;

Swap Shop:

At the moment it looks as if pointers are just a complicated way of doing something we can already do by a simpler method. However, consider the following simple problem - write a
function which swaps the contents of two variables. That is, write swap(a,b) which will swaps over the contents of a and b. In principle this should be easy:

function swap(int a , int b);
{
int temp;
temp = a;
a = b;
b = temp;
}

the only complication being the need to use a third variable temp to hold the value of a while the value of b overwrites it. However, if you try this function you will find that it doesn't work.

You can use it - swap(a,b); - until you are blue in the face, but it just will not change the values stored in a and b back in the calling program. The reason is that all parameters in C are
passed by value. That is, when you use swap(a,b) function the values in a and b are passed into the function swap via the parameters and any changes that are made to the parameters do
not alter a and b back in the main program. The function swap does swap over the values in a and b within the function, but doesn't do so in the main program.

The solution to this very common problem is to pass not the values stored in the variables, but the addresses of the variables. The function can then use pointers to get at the values in the
variables in the main program and modify them. That is, the function should be:

function swap(int *a , int *b);
{
int temp;
temp = *a;
*a = *b;
*b = temp;
}

Notice that now the two parameters a and b are pointers and the assignments that effect the swap have to use the dereference operator to make sure that it is the values of the variables

pointed at that are swapped. You should have no difficulty with:

temp = *a;

this just stores the value pointed at by a into temp. However,

*a = *b;

is a little more unusual in that it stores that value pointed at by b in place of the value pointed at by a. There is one final complication. When you use swap you have to remember to pass the
addresses of the variables that you want to swap. That is not:

swap(a,b)

but

swap(&a,&b)

The rule is that whenever you want to pass a variable so that the function can modify its contents you have to pass it as an address. Equally the function has to be ready to accept an address

and work with it. You can't take any old function and suddenly decide to pass it the address of a variable instead of its value. If you pass an address to a function that isn't expecting it the
result is usually disaster and the same is true if you fail to pass an address to a function that is expecting one.

For example, calling swap as swap(a,b) instead of swap(&a,&b) will result in two arbitrary areas of memory being swapped over, usually with the result that the entire system, not just

your program, crashes.

The need to pass an address to a function also explains the difference between the two I/O functions that we have been using since the beginning of this course. printf doesn't change the
values of its parameters so it is called as printf("%d",a) but scanf does, because it is an input function, and so it is called as scanf("%d",&a).

Pointers And Arrays:

In C there is a very close connection between pointers and arrays. In fact they are more or less one and the same thing! When you declare an array as:

int a[10];

you are in fact declaring a pointer a to the first element in the array. That is, a is exactly the same as &a[0]. The only difference between a and a pointer variable is that the array name is a
constant pointer - you cannot change the location it points at. When you write an expression such as a this is converted into a pointer expression that gives the value of the appropriate
element. To be more precise, a is exactly equivalent to *(a+i) i.e. the value pointed at by a + i . In the same way *(a+ 1) is the same as a[1] and so on.

Being able to add one to a pointer to get the next element of an array is a nice idea, but it does raise the question of what it means to add 'one' to a pointer. For example, in most
implementations an int takes two memory locations and a float takes four. So if you declare an int array and add one to a pointer to it, then in fact the pointer will move on by two
memory locations. However, if you declare a float array and add one to a pointer to it then the pointer has to move on by four memory locations. In other words, adding one to a pointer

moves it on by an amount of storage depending on the type it is a pointer to.

This is, of course, precisely why you have to declare the type that the pointer is to point at! Only by knowing that a is a pointer to int and b is a pointer to float can the compiler figure out
that

a + 1

means move the pointer on by two memory locations i.e. add 2, and

b + 1

means move the pointer on by four memory locations i.e. add 4. In practice you don't have to worry about how much storage a pointer's base type takes up. All you do need to remember is

that pointer arithmetic works in units of the data type that the pointer points at. Notice that you can even use ++ and -- with a pointer, but not with an array name because this is a constant
pointer and cannot be changed. So to summarise:

1.An array's name is a constant pointer to the first element in the array that is a==&a[0] and *a==a[0].
2.Array indexing is equivalent to pointer arithmetic - that is a+i=&a and *(a+i)==a.

It is up to you whether you want to think about an array as an array or an area of storage associated with a constant pointer. The view of it as an array is the more sophisticated and the

further away from the underlying way that the machine works. The view as a pointer and pointer arithmetic is more primitive and closer to the hardware. In most cases the distinction is
irrelevant and purely a matter of taste.

One final point connected with both arrays and functions is that when you pass an entire array to a function then by default you pass a pointer. This allows you to write functions that
process entire arrays without having to pass every single value stored in the array - just a pointer to the first element. However, it also temps you to write some very strange code unless you

keep a clear head. Try the following - write a function that will fill an array with random values randdat(a,n) where a is the array and n is its size. Your first attempt might be something
like:

void randdat(int *pa , int n)
{
for (pa = 0 ; pa < n ; pa++ ) *pa = rand()%n + 1;
}

Well I hope your first attempt wouldn't be like this because it is wrong on a number of counts! The problem is that the idea of a pointer and the idea of an index have been confused. The

pointer pa is supposed to point to the first element of the array, but the for loop sets it to zero and then increments it though a series of memory locations nowhere near the array. A lesser
error is to suppose that n-1 is the correct final value of the array pointer! As before, you will be lucky if this program doesn't crash the system, let alone itself! The correct way of doing the
job is to use a for loop to step from 0 to n-1, but to use pointer arithmetic to access the correct array element:

int randdat(int *pa , int n)
{
int i;
for ( i=0 ; i< n ; ++i)
{
*pa = rand()%n + 1;
++pa;
}
}

Notice the way that the for loop looks just like the standard way of stepping through an array. If you want to make it look even more like indexing an array using a for loop you could
write:

for(i=0 ; i<n ; ++i) *(pa+i)=rand()%n+1;

or even:

for(i=0 ; i<n ; ++i) pa=rand()%n+1;

In otherwords, as long as you define pa as a pointer you can use array indexing notation with it and it looks as if you have actually passed an array. You can even declare a pointer variable

using the notation:

int pa[];

that is, as an array with no size information. In this way the illusion of passing an array to a function is complete.

Added after 4 hours:

Here is an exclusive book about pointers
TABLE OF CONTENTS
PREFACE 2
INTRODUCTION 4
CHAPTER 1: What is a pointer? 5
CHAPTER 2: Pointer types and Arrays 9
CHAPTER 3: Pointers and Strings 14
CHAPTER 4: More on Strings 19
CHAPTER 5: Pointers and Structures 22
CHAPTER 6: Some more on Strings, and Arrays of Strings 26
CHAPTER 7: More on Multi-Dimensional Arrays 30
CHAPTER 8: Pointers to Arrays 32
CHAPTER 9: Pointers and Dynamic Allocation of Memory 34
CHAPTER 10: Pointers to Functions 42
EPILOG 53

Help

Hi,

Your discusstion and the note are very usefull for me, this note is discuss very detail i love it..... :D ...... Do you have any more about this type of C note?

To show that's really touching that you really help me a lot i donate 30 points to you... :D ...

Thanks..

hi buddy,

Just to show the importance of C pointers ,i would like to quote some of my experiences ,
I've appeared for some of the best companies interviews (for job ) and whenever i say i know C ,the first question they asked me was about pointers , (except at LG soft ,where they went around with unions and bit wise operations ) .

Pointer are the strength of C, they give us so much of power to play with things.
First let me take your first question : When and where are they used( Purpose ) ,
Although many points have been considered already ,leme give my views too.

When things get complex and you could afford more complexity with following advantages ,you use pointers :-

Faster execution
Smaller Code
Smaller size of the executables.

And there are certain situations where you can skip the use of pointers but at some places they become mandatory.

For eg .to use pointers to handle arrays is just an better but tricky option.

Whereas ,when i want to add mouse to my C program interface, i'd need pointers anyway.

The alternative is to use some functions available on net which would do your work, but they would again be using pointers.

Apart from this the best explainations could only be found in some book on pointers. My favourite is " Pointers in C " by Y. Kanitkar.

Cya !!

Hi,

Do you have this book " Pointers in C " by Y. Kanitkar? Please can you send to me??

Thank you

Hi...
Oops sorry about that...i dont have the book at present. But i'll try to upload it at our forum as soon as possible.
Till then why dont you look for that book around you ,or may be on other sites !!
Thanks !!

using pointer in programming language ,the program is very efficient and program runs very fast.also program is very small.but onething u remenmber that sometimes if u use pointer in a wrong way ur program may damage ur s/w or may crash ur computer.

suvendu said:
using pointer in programming language ,the program is very efficient and program runs very fast.also program is very small.but onething u remenmber that sometimes if u use pointer in a wrong way ur program may damage ur s/w or may crash ur computer.

Hi,

What your mean s/w? and if u use pointer in a wrong way ur program may damage ur s/w or may crash ur computer please can you give some example code?? So that i can really understanding in practical!!

Thanks..

U can get more help how not to misuse the pointers, from the above topic.

Help

Hi,

Pointer is mainly dealt with memory. so here i am uploading one pointer material in memory applications...

If u want to use data structures like linked list and trees you have to use pointers.
And the datastructures are very important as far as the real time applications are concerned.

If u don't wan't to use pointers you can use Java to devolop applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back