Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how hard to setup cadence ic5 TECHFILE & enviroment by s

Status
Not open for further replies.

erixlion

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
analoglib display.drf

Hi, this is my first post here, and I am new in layout, I just finished a course on layout design, 8 mouths, now I installed fedora core 4 and cadence ic5141 on it,(tried ubuntu 6.06, FC5, no go, seems FC4 is the only one can accept ic5), I got almost all help tips from here, and I am about to ask more, sorry about it, I should contribute more later:p

before my job hunting on IC layout, I'd like to have my own system at home, I download MOSIS.TF, DISPLAY.DRF, DIVAXXX.DRFs, is this good to go? I found when I applied these files, the layers messed up, I have to setup layers one by one, so I asked my teacher, he said it is too complicated to setup the whole enviroment by myself, not one the layers, rules, there are still many other things, no way to do it by myself.normally in a company,they need a team to setup the system and maintain it.

so my question is, is that possible to have a system at home? how hard?

I started using internet from 1994, started usiong PC from 1991,and I am top 3 student in the class so I think I can learn quickly maybe someone could show me a way to learn? thanks.

.drf cadence foundry

Well, of course it is perfect if you would like to be an expert...

However, since you are new in the field of layout, to gain experience is more important than others currently.
Which means you are supposed to dedicate on the arts of layout, not in doing that.

Basically, most foundries did provide tech/display to each certain eda cad tool.
Follow them up will be easy and comfortable to utilize your layout.

Plus, Knowing LVS/DRC will be more attractive rather than modified tech/display file either.

You did build up a system at home, and please use it well...

Regards,

It is not very easy to build techfile and display.drf by yourself, but it is not very hard either. Using techfiles from foundry is a good start, but if you can't get those files, at least you have a library "analogLib". You can dump a ascii technology file from analogLib and modify it.
There are many things can be defined in a technology file. But you don't need define all of them.
As a start, you can just add some layer/purpose pairs and assign display pockets for them.

Re: how hard to setup cadence ic5 TECHFILE & enviroment

thanks for your quick reply, setup layer is easy, but I think I have to do more seting so I can use DESIGN SYNTHESIS--> LAYOUT XL, now when I open a schematic file, and click LAYOUT XL, (OPEN A NEW FILE) , it says, THERE ARE NO LXEXTRACTLAERS DEFINED IN LIBRARY XX, TO GET VIRTUOSO XL CONNECTIVITY, YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR TECH FILE.

but I have already loaded a techfile called MOSIS.TF, and I tried ANALOGLIB when I create a new lib, I think this is the direct reason make me thinking to setup the system by myself.

if you think my tf file not a good one, anyone knows where can I get a good techfile ? nice weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back