Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How good is FreeBSD for a workstation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yangvic

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
freebsd eda tools

Many people say FreeBSD is good UNIX OS.Do it suit for workstation?I do not use network server.

Re: Anybody use FreeBSD?

Before LINUX there was BSD then FreeBSD .. FreeBSD is an EXCELLENT OS .Is very equivalent to LINUX .most of the basic packages now current in LINUX came from freebsd . FreeBSD suffered for sometime a SETBACK ..because it could only run on a MONOPROCESSOR machines .at the same LINUX was already multiprocessor .But the latest releases do support MULTIPROCESSOR machines.
and of course this OS runs on multitude of machines.
Just to end the ORIGINAL SUN OS .. was a port of BSD on sun machines .Sun later switched to a MACH kernel based OS ,which was SOLARIS .

Anybody use FreeBSD?

Can all software tools( EDA Tools ) for Linux run under FreeBSD?

There is some Linux binary emulation package in FreeBSD and NetBSD...but wouldn't run it..too slow...

FreeBSD is not meant to be used for workstation..but for production quality internet services like apache/postfix/inn etc. (like most serious ISP´s do ;o)

I have installed freeBSD, but I felt BSD was not as good as Linux,
if you want to use EDA tools, pls choose Linux, I suggest.

Anybody use FreeBSD?

synopsys in BSD is work .....
but others is not sure ....

Anybody use FreeBSD?

How about solaris X86 version?

yangvic said:
How about solaris X86 version?

is a free version?....and where we can dowload this ?

Anybody use FreeBSD?

solaris X86 can download at SUN WEB

Anybody use FreeBSD?

I used freeBSD before but the user group is not that wide. Linux is better in user group support.

davorin said:
There is some Linux binary emulation package in FreeBSD and NetBSD...but wouldn't run it..too slow...

FreeBSD is not meant to be used for workstation..but for production quality internet services like apache/postfix/inn etc. (like most serious ISP´s do ;o)

Linux emulation is not slow, because it's not real emulation but linux ABI implementation (hence code runs native on processor).

I use FreeBSD for desktop use and it's perfect, i can even play 3D linux games like fakk2 and return to castle
wolfenstein on it

Status
Not open for further replies.