Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does time slow down in space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjadkhan

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
einstein said that if you travel faster and faster then time slows down and and at the speed of light time freezs, i get why it happens. He also says that time and space are related. so an experiment was performed and an atomic clock was taken into space and its time was bit slowed as compared to the atomic clock on the earth. the change was very very little but it proved his theory, but i dont get this point that how time slows down in space!

Re: Time and space question?

If you can travel at the speed of light you can re-observe an event that happened in the past; as if time has not advance from the time of the past even to now

the thoery of relativity is still debated and has been found to be accurate in many areas but we are not properly in a position to explain them all as his own thoery name states they are relative and can not be expressed in real time eg they need a relative eg which is physically not possible to explain

The theory is that your mass increases with velocity.
Also that your size increases in the direction you're traveling.

I'm not sure I've ever heard it explained exactly why and how.

Anyway, the clock is made up of atoms. The atoms themselves slowed down a little during the flight.

Maybe because the atoms grew a little in size, it took a little longer time for all physical motions to occur. Hence the clock slowed down.

I've read up on this a bit in the past. Basically, you are correct, travelling at speed will cause time to slow down (as proven as a result of astronauts in the space station) from our earth standpoint, but the effect is far far greater as you approach light speed (i.e. we're assuming you can't go faster than the speed of light). Now, mind experiments can show you that this must be the case up to a point (i.e. the "man in the train" type of experiment [google it], where a distant observer is also looking into the train at a clock on the train wall). However, what gets quite tricky to get your head around is how the train turning back round and coming back doesn't mess things up. In other words, the change in time still occurs, whereas at first thought, it seems as if the train turning round and coming back would cause the effect to unravel as it were. Getting one's head around that is very hard (well it is for me at least - clearly it was easy for Einstein) using further thoughts like this, but people have worked out mathematically (taking into account acceleration of the train and decelleration) so you'd need to study that. The mathematical method is the easier method for a change. I've been meaning to create an excel spreadsheet where I could stick in different values to play with the experiment, I've never got round to it).
The effect is real, and in this thought experiment it was noticed because there were people on earth observing the train. Now if there was no earth (and all the worlds population was on that train) then we would not know that time was running at a different speed because who could we compare to? It's pretty amazing. And it doesn't get taught (well) in schools.
You can also consider a huge mass, and that would be an alternate way to slow down time because if you're experiencing a gravitational field, then you are experiencing acceleration.

Last edited:

The theory is that your mass increases with velocity.
Also that your size increases in the direction you're traveling.

I'm not sure I've ever heard it explained exactly why and how.

i have seen a video similar to this. in that video einstein was looking at the train and he was thinking like this :if we put more coal in the train then the train will speed up more, now consider this coal as energy. if we pump more and more energy to the train then train will get faster and faster up to a point that its speed will be equal to the light, since nothing is faster than light and if we are still pumping extra energy to the train then where is that energy going? obviously it is contributing to the train's weight. after that point i.e. when train reaches to the speed of light the energy is converting into mass.

- - - Updated - - -

I've read up on this a bit in the past. Basically, you are correct, travelling at speed will cause time to slow down (as proven as a result of astronauts in the space station) from our earth standpoint, but the effect is far far greater as you approach light speed (i.e. we're assuming you can't go faster than the speed of light). Now, mind experiments can show you that this must be the case up to a point (i.e. the "man in the train" type of experiment [google it], where a distant observer is also looking into the train at a clock on the train wall). However, what gets quite tricky to get your head around is how the train turning back round and coming back doesn't mess things up. In other words, the change in time still occurs, whereas at first thought, it seems as if the train turning round and coming back would cause the effect to unravel as it were. Getting one's head around that is very hard (well it is for me at least - clearly it was easy for Einstein) using further thoughts like this, but people have worked out mathematically (taking into account acceleration of the train and decelleration) so you'd need to study that. The mathematical method is the easier method for a change. I've been meaning to create an excel spreadsheet where I could stick in different values to play with the experiment, I've never got round to it).
The effect is real, and in this thought experiment it was noticed because there were people on earth observing the train. Now if there was no earth (and all the worlds population was on that train) then we would not know that time was running at a different speed because who could we compare to? It's pretty amazing. And it doesn't get taught (well) in schools.
You can also consider a huge mass, and that would be an alternate way to slow down time because if you're experiencing a gravitational field, then you are experiencing acceleration.

Well in this world, slowing down of time concept is simple. It actually happens like this( as great Einstein thought): If i am seeing the clock tower from a bus and bus is moving away from the tower then what happening is that light strikes to the clock tower and hit back to his eyes. as bus speeds up say half of the speed of light than 1 second will be equal to 2 second and as bus accquires the speed of light then light hitting the clcok tower will never reach to me and the time will be frozen. but this is only happening for the people in the bus, considering them reference or relative to them, in actuall back at the clock tower time is still running as normal.

Now coming to the sapce, what i can get from your explaination is that gravitation is acceleration but we normally dont realize it, as it feel static. since in space we are not moving and there is no acceleration or gravitation than time slows down in a very negliable amount, right?

but this is only happening for the people in the bus, considering them reference or relative to them, in actuall back at the clock tower time is still running as normal.
Well, you've right on the first bit, from the people on eath's observation, but the next step is the complex bit - the interesting thing is that there is no "as normal", because when the people in the bus arrive back to earth (assuming they turn round, or go in one big circle), then the difference in time is still there, i.e. it is real. That bit is more complicated to comprehend easily (hence the need to actually use the math).
Now coming to the sapce, what i can get from your explaination is that gravitation is acceleration but we normally dont realize it, as it feel static. since in space we are not moving and there is no acceleration or gravitation than time slows down in a very negliable amount, right?
If you were alone in space with no other frame of reference, time would pass (to you) as it were when you were on earth (you'd feel you were aging at the same rate as before).
EDIT: But from a person on earth perspective, time would be going a little slower for you. (And from your perspective, time on earth would be going a little slower too).

Last edited:

Have a look at this video. Its interesting :- Youtube

interesting video. ok so thats why atomic clock is used and every computer and mobile devices can sync to the atomic clock. so is it possible that i take an accurate digital clock and use it when ever i travel or move, and see the result after 1 year or 10 year (long experiment), would there be any change?

- - - Updated - - -

If you were alone in space with no other frame of reference, time would pass (to you) as it were when you were on earth (you'd feel you were aging at the same rate as before). But from a person on earth perspective, time would be going a little faster for you.

i think time would be going a littleslower for you. the video also confirms it.

Yes, that was a typo, I've corrected and made clearer. There is a nice article which describes it here (Time dilation). I also found this text in a book ('Science - a history' by John Gribbin):
"But who are all these measurements made relative to?.. there is no preferred frame of reference in the universe.. all observers moving at constant velocities relative to one another.. are equally entitled to say they are at rest and to measure all motion relative to themselves" (i.e. both parties get the same answer).

Last edited:

well time dilation becomes significant only at very high speeds like near light speeds which is quite for from reality right

so in reality this is not possible ???

or have man managed to prove this theory with an illustration

It's been proven through math and experiment (demonstrated at lower speeds, but with less of an effect). It doesn't need to be near light speed, but it becomes much more noticeable at those speeds. The proof involves some math however (the analogy of the "man-in-the-train" type of illustration only goes so far to "persuade" - it's not so clear from analogy alone what happens when the train comes back). The math is not super-complicated, but involves some acceleration calculations to show the effect of traveling at speed, accelerating round and coming back.

that is what i thought

the significant of TD is only at higher speeds and at lower speeds we just persume it

Time slows down in space based on the Theory of relativity,its true, unless you prove Theory of relativity was F.

Time slows down in space based on the Theory of relativity,its true, unless you prove Theory of relativity was F.

what basis you state if it is true it would have been made a law and not a theory in real time

at lower speeds we just persume it
No, we don't presume it. It's been demonstrated through experiment.
By the way, the word theory doesn't mean presumption.
This is wikipedia's definition:
A scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment."

yeah true but the explanation then has not been verified with real physical eg they that which dont have where termed theories

now we have some proof in reltivity then y is it still not named a law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back