Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how does increase in vbs increases id in enhancement mosfet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sridhara

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how does increase in vbs increases id in enhancement mosfet.....??

Re: how does increase in vbs increases id in enhancement mos

increase in Vbs results in the action of the body terminal as another gate of the mos leading to increase in id.... but this could damage the mos...

it decreases the threshold voltage and thus drain current increases.

anand ,
can u explain me how base wil act as another GATE......
increase in vbs wil decrease the depletion region between source & body and also bt D and Body....but channel lenght or width wil remain same???

if you imagine a diode between the body and the source then the more you forward bias it (upto a limit) the more the current. as it is also a cause of the change in drain current it can be thought of a second gate and thus referred to as the 'back gate'.

sohiltri said:
anand ,
can u explain me how base wil act as another GATE......
increase in vbs wil decrease the depletion region between source & body and also bt D and Body....but channel lenght or width wil remain same???

when vbs is incresed current flows from bulk to source which is then taken by drain........ can i say it like that can i assume it so.......

but body is bias to most negative potential....so even if u increase Vbs u r only decreasin reverse bias of diode u considered between source and body....u cannot say there wil be increase in current due to flow from body to source....explain me if i am wrong.....

No no sohiltri you are thinking the wrong way ..... The bulk may not be connected in the lowest potential available in your circuit .......

In digital design we connect it to source (where there can be some potential)to avoid in increase in vt...

In analog design it is put to the least potential point of the circuit......
Hope I am right....

Yes right....so in analog still it is at reverse bias..????then how current will flow...

ofcourse current will not flow between bulk and source......Whats your doubt....

when vbs is incresed current flows from bulk to source which is then taken by drain........ can i say it like that can i assume it so.......

ur reply in your previous post.....then even increase in Vbs will not allow any flow of current ...then how Id increases???

No i think you don't get my point....

There can be any Id after the channel formation.....So assume there is some Id and now you apply some Vbs then Id will increase..... thats why i said...

"when vbs is incresed current flows from bulk to source which is then taken by drain........ can i say it like that can i assume it so....... "

Do you get the picture now....

Hey how does happen... an increase in Vbs can increase the current only between bulk and source... how could this be taken up by the drain... as differnt potentials are applied between source to drain and source to bulk...

if you analyse properly you can find that the gate voltage and the body voltage are of opposite polarity and hence the body terminal effectively aids in increase of the depth of the channel and effectively acting as another gate i.e. backgate... this leads to increase in Id...

Is this alright with u sohiltri.... i hope u get the point now...

Anand,

U mean to say tht consider in NMOS...gate is applied positive potential for channel formation....and thus instead of connectin body to source thus vbs=0.....we connect body to positive potential wrt source..thus increase in Vbs......now both body and gate are at same potential.....this in turn will decrease the depth of channel....

i am confused...please correct me.....

in case of NMOS gate is applied positive... source is applied negative and so body terminal should be applied more negative than this to backbias the body source diode.... which means that the negative potential at body terminal is gonna push more charge toward the channel further aiding the channel formation....

Status
Not open for further replies.