Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I link my surround sound to TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragoo

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have Samsung LED TV and Sharp htdv40 2:1 surround sound, what is the right cable to get Sky TV sound from the surround sound speakers? Is it just an optical cable I need? If so, is there a big difference in the expensive ones and the cheaper models?

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated!

I have Samsung LED TV and Sharp htdv40 2:1 surround sound, what is the right cable to get Sky TV sound from the surround sound speakers? Is it just an optical cable I need? If so, is there a big difference in the expensive ones and the cheaper models?

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi There

If you're using a HDMI cable to connect betwen your Sky digibox & TV, you should use the optical output on your TV, and connect it to theoptical input "TosLINK" on your surround sound system. I recommend you use the TV's optical output rather than the Sky box output because of a couple of reasons;

1) when you turn the TV off, the sound will cut off as well - if you take the audio from the Sky box, the sound will continue even if the tv is off.

2) If you decide to play any other media, e.g. DVD or games console, this will also come from your surround system.

The HDMI cable will carry the surround sound, as well as the HD video - "High Definition Multimedia Interface", thus eliminating the need to use a optical cable as well as an optical cable between your Sky box & TV.

If you are NOT using a HDMI connection between your Sky digibox, All you need to do is run an optical cable from the optical output from your Sky digibox to your surround sound system - but only do this if you do not have an optical output on your tv, or are not using a HDMI lead between you Sky box & TV.

Finally, for the purpose you want to use the optical cable for (low bandwidth DIGITAL data), the cheapest cable you can find will not perform any worse than some of the most expensive ones on the market. £5 - £10 from an electrical shop should be what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back