Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do i know how much current of an opamp can output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenplanet

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how do i know how much current of an opamp can output by using Cadence Spectre?
what would the test circuit look like?
If i were to fab the opamp, how should I test it?

thanks.

you can config the opamp as buffer and connect a 1ohm at output to half between vcc and vee. Then input a small sine wave and detect the current output. You can do similar in testing except use a larger resistor

in Cadence Spectre, you opamp's final stage transistor size and feedback loop parameters will specify the output current capability!

Connect OPamp as a buffer for example and put between output and ground idc...
then simulate dc sweep for dc current of idc for example from -1m ...1m
If OPamp has enough current capacity output current should not affect on a voltage between positive and negative input node should be close. If not you will see that opamp does not work any more

thanks all..

but is it necessary to have the opamp output a current say about 1mA such that it can be characterized after fabrication?

If the opamp is to be characterized on wafer, what kind of test structures should be included?

Status
Not open for further replies.