Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I calculate the surge current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnfsoft

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear EDA board members,
How do I calculate the surge current of an A/C split unit type or window type so I can operate it using a generator, i.e. is there an equation to calculate it based on the steady state currnet? or a rule of thumb that I can use? or is it based on the BTU of the A/C? or the power rating?

Please I need to know because I am facing hell in Iraq and I have a 5,5KW max. generator and I am very afraid to operate the A/C on the generator I am afraid I may toast it!

MNFsoft

I think you should connect a reliable resistance load, to test.

mnfsoft

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
if you know the type of ac motor inside
you can approximate the surge current(only estimation).
based on normal current rating.

srizbf
19thmay2010

Added after 54 minutes:

the split types there are two varieties.(as far as i come across)
(i dont know what is in iraq)

a 1.5kw and 2 kw type .

since your generator is 5.5kw it will do for normal working.

as the fear is what will happen on starting the ac ,
the suggestion is to switch off all other loads in generator .
then switch on ac.
once it starts (in few seconds) , you can connect all other loads(upto maxmcapcity).

nothing will happen to genrtor.

srizbf
19thmay2010

mnfsoft

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks a lot PCBWING but this is the transient current I guess I will need a recording type Ammeter which I never had the chance to use or hear about until when I was studying my M.Sc.

Thanks a lot srizbf but I will give you the specifications of the A/C it is a split unit VESTEL model no. D-24 BIO it is 24,000 BTU so that I do not have any further Information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back