Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How difficult to design an Ethernet Swithc ASIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
design of ethernet asic

I'm an electronic students, I want to design a 10/100 Ethernet switch chip, could you give me some advices on it?
I'm familiar with the ASIC design methodologies and tools, but I have no experiences on ASIC design, what should I pay much attention to? I only do the front-end. is it possible for me to do such big projects from beginning?

ethernet asic design

Bad choice. Too big and too complicated for a student. Knowing ASIC design methodologies and tools are great, but doesn't help you much on actually designing an ASIC. Although Ethernet switch is a well known technology, it doesn't mean it's easy to design. As a student, the Ethernet protocol itself will take you sometime to fully understand it. My suggestion to you would be scale down the design significantly, say designing just an Ethernet MAC with a MII or RMII interface. This is a very very very useful core.

I remember the first ASIC core that I designed back in the early 90's was a simple 4-bit MCU with only 24 instructions. It's then being used in a lot of simple applications such as TV remote control and telephone set.

Have fun. :D

Very very thanks! I think you help me a lot!
I will begin form an Ethernet MAC core design.

Look at: h**p://w*w.opencores.org/projects/ethmac/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back